Author Topic: "Service Parts Identification" sticker 1984 C20 Silverado  (Read 3012 times)

Offline gocubs1

"Service Parts Identification" sticker 1984 C20 Silverado
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

I did search for this topic, but perhaps I have missed it. If this topic does not belong here, I apologize but could not seem to find exactly where I thought it should be.

I have a 1984 Chevy Silverado C20. I needed to replace the brake booster and master cylinder, and of course was referred to the Service Parts Identification sticker to identify the brake system. I was finally able to identify the system, at least I hope, correctly by the rotor diameter and the fact that it has rear drum brakes, and visually. I would still like to locate the Service Parts Identification sticker for future reference, however I have not been able to find the sticker anywhere. I have been pointed to look in the glove box, under the carpeting, in the back of the cab behind the seat, all to no avail. There is a black cardboard-like material on the back of the cab that I removed to look behind, and it's not there either. Did every 1984 Chevy have this sticker, as I seem to find that this was the year this started. If so, any other ideas on where I could locate it?

thank you!

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: "Service Parts Identification" sticker 1984 C20 Silverado
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline gocubs1

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:25:49 AM »
thank you for the welcome  :)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »
Hi GoCubs1:
Yes the sticker you are looking for would be stuck to the inside of the glove box door on all C series light trucks. The sticker would be mailed to the new owners of P and G series vans...I am not 100% sure if this practice continued through the entire 73-87 time period but I think it did. The problem is that the sticker is paper and the glue on the sticker fails after 10-15 years and also because of glove box usage...then the sticker becomes loose and gets lost or worn out and discarded. You can probably get a replacement sticker from the GM Heritage Center with a fee.

As far as your brakes go, you can identify what brakes you have from a long forum thread started by Ronno6 where we discuss his 84 brakes at length and include some documentation from the 1984 service manual...this is in the brakes sub-section of the forum under the suspension section.  You can also look through the tech section of the forum and there should be enough info for you to identify yours...you can also see an on-line 84 service manual which should get you your info.

Regards,
Henry

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
SPID labels are factory affixed to the inside surface of the glovebox or on the top side of either front inner fender.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline gocubs1

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
thank you Henry and bd. I will look on the fender tonight when I get home. I know the passenger side fender well only had a sticker regarding to the jack placement. I don't recall looking on the driver side. the glove box does not appear to have ever had a sticker as I would think even if it had come off in time I should still be able to see the glue or spot where it once was. And thank you for the thread on the brake identification. Some reading for the next couple evenings. I appreciate the help!