Author Topic: No limits Insurance on Truck and Camaro  (Read 6747 times)

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
No limits Insurance on Truck and Camaro
« on: October 19, 2018, 02:39:44 AM »
Hey guys, been a good while!  Been a rough year, Had a major wreck back in april, got pinned between two big rigs on the freeway in my 08 impala.  Just now getting off physical therapy.

Havent decided on a new car yet, so been driving the truck to work, camaro needs an engine.

I been looking at putting approx $20k into the truck, and about $10-15k into the 1997 camaro.  At least that's what I'd like to do.

Insurance is the crux.  I want both the truck and camaro insured at market value after I'm done with them, but I'm not doing any mileage restrictions, and the truck will be towing stuff occasionally.  ya know lumber for decks, or if another car breaks down i'll tow it home.  I will have a third car before all this is done to satisfy the ins companys need a third as a DD requirement.  Looking at either 16-17 impala premiums or 15-17 taurus limiteds. 

The mileage thing and can't drive it to the store or work is a no-go.  My job has a security fence and active security so parking there isnt a problem, It's a federal facility.

If I can't get them insured like I want I'm just gonna cut the truck back to $5k and the camaro to $6k in upgrades and go liability only.  I can cover a losing that. 
If I go cheap ttruck gets cheapest blueprint or atk crate engine that has a roller cam.  if i can go big I want the 435hp/475tq engine with MPFI on it, built OD trans, full SS exhaust, 5" one piece Driveshaft, new tires, disc brakes on the rear and some other odds and ends.

Just can't put all that into the truck if i stand to lose it all at any moment, especially if stolen rather than wrecked.

How are you guys driving these things daily insuring them?  or are yall just using them as collector cars?  I know what I wanna do is weird.  I want my old cars, and I wanna daily em and have em covered. 
I'd very likely (having three cars)  not drive any one in particular to work more than once a week or so.  I do have to drive them to work some, because I almost never go anywhere but work, if i dont drive them to work, i'll never get to drive them.  though i dont drive the camaro in the rain (squirrely) , i exclusively drive the truck when its snowy or icy.  I wouldn't even get another car except for insurance requirements, but would be nice for long trips.  I do a couple of 1k+  mile trips a year, tho the camaro is nice for trips.

Just in short, if i can't insure them like i want i'm gonna do the minimum they need and be done with it, instead of doing them up right like i want to.  Insurance companys are deciding my day to day life for me and it irks me.  Other crux is all the house insurances I've seen explicitly don't cover any motor vehicles  inside the locked garage, so they essentially aren't insured now.  Trucks on liability now, camaros on full coverage , its new enough to have some blue book value left to it.   Payout on the truck with full coverage now would be about $900  so thats def not worth it.  Camaros around $7500, not too bad.

trucks still chugging along on the original engine and trans, but its getting noticeably tired.  It's got about 170k on it now, OE longblock and trans unopened except to put new VC gaskets on it.  It just runs and runs...lol

Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
Re: No limits Insurance on Truck and Camaro
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:47:25 AM »
Here's the Impala.  Truck hit me from behind and run me up under another one.  Good part I suppose is I don't remember a thing.  didn't even right after it happened.  long day...lol

Tell ya one thing, when I started driving again, it was GOOD to be up high in the truck!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 02:49:23 AM by 78 Chevyrado »
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »
glad your still here, know when i got my house insurance i was talking to the guy and asking about trucks in the garage and he said the same thing that theyre not covered. but then there was something about if youre "restoring" them as like the wheels are off then they might be covered. then he asked if i run a business out of my garage and i changed the subject lol. but talk to your insurance rep and see if theyre covered if you are restoring them
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »
That Impala is tore up... Glad you made it out of it alive.  I wondered because you've not been here in a while.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline fitz

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:53:02 AM »
  Glad your ok, that's a bad wreck.

As far as the insurance, you should look into a "stated value" policy.

That's what I have on my 69 Camaro that is insured with Commerce Insurance.  I had to have the car appraised by a licensed appraiser.  The insurance company will then insure the car for the value that the appraiser stated on his appraisal.

My car was last appraised in 2000.  It cost me $150 for the appraisal.  They basicly take a bunch of pictures and take notes on any modifications that were made. 

My car was appraised at $20K back in 2000.  Full coverage with high liability limits  cost $900 a year. As a reference, my 2017 Corvette cost $1050.  I have 5 vehicles insured with Commerce so that saves me a little $$ (or means im wasting a lot of $$ depending on who you ask).

For the last few years my Insurance Agent has been trying to get me to switch the Camaro over to a collector car policy like Hagerty or Grundy Insurance.  It would save me some $$, because these policys run about $300 a year.

The problem I had with the collector car policy was that there were a list of restrictions such as where the vehicle gets parked.  The 1 restriction the agent mentioned was that you couldn't park the car at a store.  I dont drive that car as often as i should, but what good is an old car if you can't drive it to Napa to pick up some parts once in a while?.

The collector car policy just wasn't the right fit for me.  I feel good about the stated value policy I have.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 10:00:36 AM »
thats kind of the deal with the historic or classic plates here in maryland. for starters you can only drive to/from shows and the weekend other than that cops last year were busting down on those that were driving them as DDs. for one its cheaper insurance and two its cheaper reg fees and no inspection (safety or emissions) but theres no weight ratings so technically you cant haul an empty trailer. when i first got my 91 crew i didnt want to be able to drive it only on the weekends or to shows and wanted to be able to use it as a truck so i went through inspection. only a couple small things failed (lights) and i was good to go but have to pay reg insurance its only liability and cost somewhere around 250/year with state farm
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 03:44:51 AM »
glad your still here, know when i got my house insurance i was talking to the guy and asking about trucks in the garage and he said the same thing that theyre not covered. but then there was something about if youre "restoring" them as like the wheels are off then they might be covered. then he asked if i run a business out of my garage and i changed the subject lol. but talk to your insurance rep and see if theyre covered if you are restoring them

I had heard that somewhere about if its apart they may cover it.   

That Impala is tore up... Glad you made it out of it alive.  I wondered because you've not been here in a while.

I have a nice big scar on my forehead now from the roof hitting me when it came off, worst thing was it messed up my knee bad.  the truck missed the bumper on the car and went right over the hood to the roof so no airbags went off.  My knee hit the dash hard enough to break it.  I was out of work for 4 months or so.  Bad day.

Glad your ok, that's a bad wreck.

As far as the insurance, you should look into a "stated value" policy.

That's what I have on my 69 Camaro that is insured with Commerce Insurance.  I had to have the car appraised by a licensed appraiser.  The insurance company will then insure the car for the value that the appraiser stated on his appraisal.

My car was last appraised in 2000.  It cost me $150 for the appraisal.  They basicly take a bunch of pictures and take notes on any modifications that were made. 

My car was appraised at $20K back in 2000.  Full coverage with high liability limits  cost $900 a year. As a reference, my 2017 Corvette cost $1050.  I have 5 vehicles insured with Commerce so that saves me a little $$ (or means im wasting a lot of $$ depending on who you ask).

For the last few years my Insurance Agent has been trying to get me to switch the Camaro over to a collector car policy like Hagerty or Grundy Insurance.  It would save me some $$, because these policys run about $300 a year.

The problem I had with the collector car policy was that there were a list of restrictions such as where the vehicle gets parked.  The 1 restriction the agent mentioned was that you couldn't park the car at a store.  I dont drive that car as often as i should, but what good is an old car if you can't drive it to Napa to pick up some parts once in a while?.

The collector car policy just wasn't the right fit for me.  I feel good about the stated value policy I have.

Thanks man!

All these little rules are funny.  That's crazy you can't park at a store.  thats 90% of where cars go.  All the agents I've talked to all want to use hagerty. hagerty seems to be the least restrictive, but still restrictive.

thats kind of the deal with the historic or classic plates here in maryland. for starters you can only drive to/from shows and the weekend other than that cops last year were busting down on those that were driving them as DDs. for one its cheaper insurance and two its cheaper reg fees and no inspection (safety or emissions) but theres no weight ratings so technically you cant haul an empty trailer. when i first got my 91 crew i didnt want to be able to drive it only on the weekends or to shows and wanted to be able to use it as a truck so i went through inspection. only a couple small things failed (lights) and i was good to go but have to pay reg insurance its only liability and cost somewhere around 250/year with state farm

I don't have any inspections to go through and my county still has no emissions testing.  Right now the trucks regular liability, it's $400-500 year to insure currently.  and $23 a year for tags. 

I'm thinking before I start on either car, I'll get them insured and then go by that as to how much I put into them.  It's looking like doing less and doing like I'm doing now is how i'm gonna have to go.
Kenny

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 11:11:45 AM »
i pay $443.37 per year on the truck thru State Farm.  All my other cars are thru State Farm as well, but they don't have any of this 3rd car DD requirement nonsense.

2) i was definitely going to suggest another impala over a taurus if you need a 3rd car, but after looking at the wreck pictures  :o , i now suggest a Suburban with the highest GVWR possible with as many airbags as possible.

At any rate, no taurus.

Offline 77 Scottsdale

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
Wow that sounds very scary  :'( glad to have ya back!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 07:47:44 AM »
Ouch! Glad you're alive still.

Talk to some collector car appraisers about good insurance companies in your area.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:09:20 PM »
Ouch!  If you get with a good insurance company tell them you want it insured for the current value most will either assist or tell you where they recommend.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 03:12:13 AM »
i pay $443.37 per year on the truck thru State Farm.  All my other cars are thru State Farm as well, but they don't have any of this 3rd car DD requirement nonsense.

2) i was definitely going to suggest another impala over a taurus if you need a 3rd car, but after looking at the wreck pictures  :o , i now suggest a Suburban with the highest GVWR possible with as many airbags as possible.

At any rate, no taurus.

I was looking at excursions and f250s right after the wreck...lol

I think I've settled on a 2016-18 impala premier.  The taurus seems to be a bit behind on tech and The impala has knee airbags, which i used to think were silly...  The impala will do what I want better.

Wow that sounds very scary  :'( glad to have ya back!

Thanks man!  I'm very glad to be here! ;D

Ouch! Glad you're alive still.

Talk to some collector car appraisers about good insurance companies in your area.

Thanks, me too man!

I'm calling one a week or so when i get time, I'll stumble across one I like before too long

Ouch!  If you get with a good insurance company tell them you want it insured for the current value most will either assist or tell you where they recommend.

Most go for hagerty though one has said grundy, which is looking better than hagerty so far

Kenny

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 12:45:51 PM »
After viewing this, I'M thinking about getting a suburban...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLzDwL-fenU

Offline 77 Scottsdale

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 03:02:36 PM »
 :o I think im keeping my suburban...

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:22:39 AM »
After viewing this, I'M thinking about getting a suburban...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLzDwL-fenU

I seen that one.  Makes my skin crawl.   I watched most of that guys videos in the months after the wreck.   

:o I think im keeping my suburban...

I'm def keeping my truck.  I'm glad I had it to drive after the wreck, took a while to get used to driving again and it hurt to get in it, but it felt a whole lot better sitting up higher on the road!  I don't think I would have driven the camaro for a while right after the wreck if i could have.  heck its even lower.

Best me and my lawyer can figure, I got hit in the back by one semi and then pushed under the front semi.  I don't know what happened at all and the truck in front of me doesn't either.  only the rear truck has any idea what happened.  the black box in the impala says i was hit in the back first, then i hit the brakes then i hit the front truck.  Probably a good thing i dont remember any of it.  I remember getting out and falling down, and then crawling off the freeway into the grass.  this was rush hour and nobody stopped to help, one guy almost hit me driving slow around me while i was crawling off the freeway.  they just looked down at me and kept going.  then i blacked out and next thing i remember was the emts were there.

Where I was laying on the grass I could see a silhouette of my car with traffic lights behind it, I was off of the drivers side and it only looked like the rear end got smashed.  I didn't know how the front and the roof looked until dad came home with the pics he got at the tow yard.  He had to go cuz i couldn't walk.  heck i had a walker for 3-4 weeks.  I felt like puking when he showed me those pics.  I thought i just got rear ended.  Got a giant gash in my forehead that took 37 stitches.  I lucked out tho, there was a plastic surgeon there that did s lot of small stitches, otherwise they would have used staples. 

My head has healed up really nicely, and the cut on my neck from the seat belt has done very well.  The head injury is from the roof coming off.  roof hit me and shoved me into the seat back and broke it.  Guess I was just so dazed I got right out of the car like normal but fell down because of the knee.  nothing was hurting at all right then.  The one part of the car that still worked normally was the drivers door.  still opens and closes good. drivers rear door is pinched shut tho.

Worst part has been the knee injury.  My left knee hit the dash so hard it broke the dash.  The air bags didn't go off, but that's to be expected, as the front bumper doesn't have a scratch on it.  The truck rode up the hood and missed the bumper entirely, it only pulled the bumper cover off when the truck and car separated.  I ended up with a fracture in my tibia on a something plateau, torn meniscus and two torn ligaments. 
I'm about healed up good enough, wont need surgery and have about a month of physical therapy left.  I can walk almost back to normal now. 

Glad to be here with all you fine people!  ;D
Kenny