Author Topic: Transmission  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Mike T

Transmission
« on: February 03, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
HI I have a 79 G M C short wheel half ton truck the tranny is going out . I got one from a 3/4 ton long wheelbase the   out put shaft is long the one I have is short. Can the out put shaft be changed? This is a standard tranny. The tranny is out of a 1985. Any Help would Be Great Thanks Mike

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Transmission
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 10:46:16 AM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:16:25 AM »
HI I have a 79 G M C short wheel half ton truck the tranny is going out . I got one from a 3/4 ton long wheelbase the   out put shaft is long the one I have is short. Can the out put shaft be changed? This is a standard tranny. The tranny is out of a 1985. Any Help would Be Great Thanks Mike

Welcome, Now for your question would be better if more info is given especially what/which trans 3 or 4 spd, Saginaw, Muncie, Borg Warner or even the 3-4 spd over drive NP440 MY6 trans by New process.
  Just saying its a standard tranny doesn't mean the one you have in your truck is the original one that was put in it at first.

Even more pictures showing the casting numbers would be great.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:46:02 AM by mikiesride »
I rest up Mon-Fri  from Sat-Sun
Ask a question if you want an answer.
I come from the Old School ways.
And yes I do remember the 60's, LOL

Offline Mike T

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:53:58 AM »
Ok I could not get back to My post . We have snow and mud here so will get pic later.I have a short wheel base 4 wheel drive 1979 4 speed manual transmission . I know it is the tranny that came with the truck I am the 2 owner.The other tranny I have is out of a long wheel 4X4 3/4 tone truck Thanks

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:58 AM »
Ok I could not get back to My post . We have snow and mud here so will get pic later.I have a short wheel base 4 wheel drive 1979 4 speed manual transmission . I know it is the tranny that came with the truck I am the 2 owner.The other tranny I have is out of a long wheel 4X4 3/4 tone truck Thanks

Need pictures and stats/spec's, measurements on both trans
I rest up Mon-Fri  from Sat-Sun
Ask a question if you want an answer.
I come from the Old School ways.
And yes I do remember the 60's, LOL

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 11:11:08 PM »
While I agree that more info is better, his question is a simple one and can be answered without knowing what transmission he has.  He asked if the output shaft of a transmission can be changed to make a long shaft transmission fit where a short shaft transmission used to reside.  The answer is yes, but it isn't worth doing.  You will have to disassemble most of the transmission to do it.  You will be much better off finding another transmission that is the same as the current one.  Unless you are a veteran at rebuilding transmissions, it will take far more effort educating yourself on the procedure.  In addition, the uncertainty of doing it the first time and the potential problems far outweigh the expense of buying another unit.  Find the right one in a pull-it-yourself yard or on craigslist.  It will be well worth the time and frustration you save.

Offline Mike T

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »
Thank You for the info . You don't know how much that help Me