Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Dano42

New to forum
« on: February 15, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
Hi everyone! I’m new and been reading up on countless topics on this site! I love love love this site! It has helped keep my square body on the road many many times, I  sincerely appreciate it   But I still have a ways to go before I have my truck where I want it.  I suppose it will never be where I would like it but a work in progress for the rest of the time I am in possession of it. Now to the meat and potatoes of this post.

Now I have 1984 GMC C3500 with a 454  automatic which I recently drove down to Jacksonville Fl. From Columbus Oh. It took me two days because I was taking my time and taking it easy on my baby.

The first day my truck was riding great! The weather was cooler and thank God for that because of the mountains. My truck  muscled right through it. But on the second day the weather was getting nicer and my truck was running rougher. At first I thought it was a tank of bad gasoline so I babied it threw that tank of gas and put a new tank of gas with the appropriate amount of sea foam but it did not help and it is still running bad after almost a week.

Now what my symptoms are on my truck is that when I get my truck up to 70MPH it would drive fine unless I go to pass someone. If I accelerate to pass it will start to bog down making me have to lay off the gas and gradually  accelerate back to speed (70MPH). It will also happen when I  accelerate too fast or go up steep inclines. All this tends to happen when it’s nice out but if the weather is cool it drives a lot better. That’s for any advice in advance.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: New to forum
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 01:36:13 PM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 05:43:24 PM »
Welcome from the St. Louis, MO area!  First thing to check is the fuel filter.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 08:28:45 PM »
Welcome from California, fuel filter would be first then go from there.
I rest up Mon-Fri  from Sat-Sun
Ask a question if you want an answer.
I come from the Old School ways.
And yes I do remember the 60's, LOL

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »
im with the other guys about fuel/air issue. after you replace the fuel filter also check for vacuum leaks either way it sounds like a lean condition causing you to loose power, which can come from lack of fuel or too much air.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Dano42

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »
 Sorry for the delay in response, thanks for everybody that responded to my post. I just wanted to let you know that I  replace the fuel filter check the vacuum lines fixed the ones that I figured might’ve been cracked but upon further inspection weren’t. What is a good staring point for cab   Needle and seat? I did adjust the idol, seam to have helped a little but then again it is a bit nicer day today and not as hot. It is a definite problem when the weather is warmer the truck runs rougher.  Oh and I did adjust the heat activated choke which didn’t seem to do much for the truck  other than just help it start easier.

Online JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
So do you still have the problem of having to nurse the throttle trying to get past 70?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Dano42

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:00:28 PM »
 I still have the problem when it bogs down and stalls out on me I’ll throw some gas down the carburetor and get it going for a little while longer

Offline Dano42

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 06:41:07 PM »
 I figure I’m just going to check the timing which I do not have a timing light. And I’m going to rebuild the carburetor and be through with it. I rebuild carburetors before it shouldn’t be too big of a job.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »
Check for kinked or collapsed fuel lines
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10