Author Topic: universal power windows  (Read 4311 times)

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
universal power windows
« on: March 31, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
have you guys ever tried to install a universal power window kit? my question is are they strong enough to move the window effortlessly.. i dont want to buy a kit install it only to have to help it raise the window by hand or something... its not cool when your at the drive thru and your electric window wont go up by its self...  thanks

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member

Offline 1982 Daily Driver

Re: universal power windows
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
I ordered a kit that looked very similar to that and after I got it and seen it I returned right away. Did not look like it would work at all. Then by chance I found someone with a parts truck with power windows and locks and I got everything for free. Now that I did it this way I would not even consider a universal kit. Maybe someone has used one and it worked fine.
Hope this helps. 

Offline blazing816

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
I got one of those kits for free, however I have not taking the time to install it and try it out yet. Since we finally got rid of the white stuff (snow) here in Michigan I might try putting them on my beater truck, and I will let you know when I do, but it may not be anytime soon.....I work two jobs.
-----------------------------
1988 Chevy R20 Scottsdale Crew Cab (350/TH400/4.56)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:51:01 AM »
I would NOT recommend that kit...
What year truck do you have?  I HIGHLY recommend going with this kit, I know it works: http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=GM01-K&Category_Code=7T

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »
hey there i was able to find everything for my electric windows.... the electric window mechanisms for both doors electric locks and all the wiring and the switches ... i was able to install everything without and issue... the only problem i have now is that they go up kinda slow... i know their not going to be like a new Mercedes window but i still i think their slower than normal.... is there a way to make them go up faster or are the motors on their way out... i got the stuff from a junk blazer... and it didnīt run so i didnīt test them before i took them out...

Offline winky

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »
Use the search button, you need to add relays to give them more direct juice. There is just too much voltage drop between fuse block and the motor its self.

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:36 PM »
i got all the original wiring including the metal relay with the connection for two pigtails... anyways i was trying the windows with the engine off and the motor/regulator was slow... until the other day i took it out for a drive and noticed the windows go up and down much quicker with the engine running this is probably due to the higher voltage with the engine on... i really like the way they work now... like i said before its nothing compared to a new car but they are great...