Author Topic: Power window problems  (Read 19724 times)

Offline saltyourwounds

Power window problems
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:14 AM »
Ok so I've been having problems with my power windows over the last couple months. My truck is a 1986 C10 Custom.

It first started that if I rolled both windows down at the same time they would dramatically slow down. (I'm not sure if this is typical with these trucks or not but I figure the more information I give the more likely I can get an appropriate response.)

Well as of lately the windows will only roll up and down sometimes... And when one stops. They both stop. I'm assuming the motors are fine since it would seem unlikely they both choose to stop and start at the exact same times.

I've looked through my owners manual and see no info on a fuse. I've looked in my Chilton and either I don't see the info (which is likely) or there is no info on the power windows.

Any and all info will help. The window is stuck in the down position, and rain is looking pretty likely over the next couple of days.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Power window problems
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:23:36 AM »
can you roll the passengers side up by the passenger side switch?. to me sounds like a switch problem since they stop at the same time. if you can use the passengers side switch this is one way to tell if thats the problem
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Greenlee

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »
I think your problem is going to be the driver side switch. The power for the passenger side switch comes from the driver side. I was having problems with the passenger side window only, and it still turned out to be the driver side switch.

I would go ahead and buy new switches. I had tried several used ones thinking they couldn't all be bad. Apparently, they were all bad because I kept on having problems until I broke down and bought new switches for both sides.

From what I have read, another common problem is a broken wire where the door opens and closes or a bad connection where the wires go into the plug at the switch.

Offline saltyourwounds

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply getleman.

As far as the passenger windows goes, it works when the drivers window decides to... If te drivers window doesn't move, neither does the passenger.
I'll try a used switch first I guess... (I'm gonna get "new" doors soon hopefully manual windows.)

Offline tex62

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »
Glad someone asked something like this. Been thinking about replacing all my window motors in my tank because mine act up from time to time.
87 chevy suburban. 350 tbi w/ 700r4. 2wd sluggish tank sporting plastidip paint.

Offline Pescados666

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
My suburban has a mangled master window control for all 4 windows, but the 2 wires for driver's window and two other wires are unplugged from the switch. I didn't think it was affecting the other switches.
Now the window in passenger side tries to go down, but it won't go up at all.  I tried the old motor and it'll work fine in one direction, but won't work at all in the other direction.

Any idea if the driver's switch not being wired up correctly would cause these problems?  If not, what else could it be? 
Also, any idea where I could find the wiring for the 4 switch window controls to piece mine back together?
1985 Chevy C10 Suburban w/ 350 sbc and 700r4

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:18 PM »
pescad i would look into a junkyard for the wires. but anything electrical that does not have a good circut will cause all sorts of problems. a bad ground will feed back to anything it can get to, so a bad connection could cause problems all over. i would fix your wiring first just because you know its a problem, may not be your problem but its a good place to start.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Pescados666

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
pescad i would look into a junkyard for the wires. but anything electrical that does not have a good circut will cause all sorts of problems. a bad ground will feed back to anything it can get to, so a bad connection could cause problems all over. i would fix your wiring first just because you know its a problem, may not be your problem but its a good place to start.
The wires are all there and ran, but there's 4 wires from the switch itself (2 for the driver's window and 2 for something else) that are not connected. 
I looked around for an extra 4 window switch yesterday when I was at the junk yard and it looks like all of the suburbans have had theirs completely chopped out. 

The way the PO had the speaker's wired in (poke a hole through the middle of the wall to get the wires to run behind the wall...) I wouldn't be surprised if they botched the window wiring as well :P

I'll check it out soon as I get some free time from work.  Thanks!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 01:27:27 PM »
The wires are all there and ran, but there's 4 wires from the switch itself (2 for the driver's window and 2 for something else) that are not connected. 
I looked around for an extra 4 window switch yesterday when I was at the junk yard and it looks like all of the suburbans have had theirs completely chopped out. 

The way the PO had the speaker's wired in (poke a hole through the middle of the wall to get the wires to run behind the wall...) I wouldn't be surprised if they botched the window wiring as well :P

I'll check it out soon as I get some free time from work.  Thanks!

Refer to the "Power Windows, Four-Door" schematic diagram on CK Truck Page 8 (page 17) in the 1986 Wiring Manual for connection details.  The door switch pigtail is AC Delco part number PT185 (pictured below).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:29:58 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Pescados666

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »
I patched my pigtail back up and now all the windows are working just fine! 
That manual was just what I needed to figure out which wire goes where.  Thanks!

Offline Tazman

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
This is why this site is the best . I have had a slow passenger side window for years , now I know what to look for. Tell me would the same go for a window not going down all the way?
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
i dont think so, but take the door cover off and check the window track spray some lube in there and see if that helps. also make sure nothing is stuck inside of the track like a little rock or something