Author Topic: Camshaft decision  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Jspeed1987

Camshaft decision
« on: December 09, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »
Recently pulled my motor and transmission to do a few upgrades. since the motor out I want to install a cam that will work with the new parts. something with good torque curve and mileage. I talk to comp cams today they suggested manufacturers part # 12-242-2 Grind number CS XE268H. Any suggestions will be much appreciated

1979 Chevy C-10 SWB
WEIGHT 4500lbs
Heads 3947041 heads ported, stainless steal valves, screw in studs
High rise duel plane intake
Q-Jet 750
HEI Ignition
Compression ratio 9.1
700R4
Stock Converter
Axel gears 3.08

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
Re: Camshaft decision
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 07:04:34 AM »
There are a few guys on here that are knowledgeable on this subject im sure you will get some good pointers
Im no expert but ill offer my advise just the same
I have a 350 with a dual plane intake, Qjet, headers/exhaust, and a Comp HE260. pretty big difference over stock even though its not a major cam upgrade. My point is that you dont have to upgrade to something super radical to make good power. not saying you think that but alot of people do.

With your headwork and stock converter the cam that Comp recommended should work well. it wouldnt hurt to upgrade your exhaust(assuming it is stock) and always use the appropriate valve train components that the cam is designed to work with. once you get it running well and mess with the timing I am sure you will be pleased with the results
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Jspeed1987

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Thanks for mentioning the exhaust thats a detail I missed
The exahust will be long tube headers 3" collectors though duel 3" single chamber mufflers.
It's way overkill on the exhaust. the parts and material are there and dirt cheap bigger not always better. But I can't pass it up. Back to the cam that comp cams suggested my worries is that the torq range for that cam will be to high in the RPM for Hwy cruising. I've read with my 700R4 & 3.08 gear ratio . That alone will drive my RPM Down at HWY speeds causing Engine/Trans to Lug or load up even burn up. I've  sent a email to Lunati to see what cam they recommend. I definitely don't want a cam that's total overkill. I just want it all to work well together.

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 01:40:17 PM »
I installed that very cam in my 78 and made a big difference.First mod was to intake manifold.
Next went to dual exhaust,and finally installed headers.No real performance or mileage gains to this point.
Initial mileage was 11mpg.Re-curved distributor and a little carb work got me to 12.
Finally installed the 268 High Energy and highway mileage went to 15.5.This was the biggest bang
for the buck improvement overall.My 78 is a Big-Ten version so the only emissions was pcv.