Author Topic: Fuel tank selector switch  (Read 9043 times)

Offline w.han1972

Fuel tank selector switch
« on: August 05, 2014, 04:58:12 PM »
I have a 77 Chevy k10, I had to replace the fuel selector valve. The new I picked up Autozone has 5 connectors instead of the one connector on the one I removed. Does and one know which connector port to hook up my single lead too? I installed the valve and the truck runs fine, but I cant switch tanks. any advice would be helpful. Thanks....

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Fuel tank selector switch
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
That is the selector for the 80s models, it can be done, I did on mine but it was a huge pain and now I only use the one tank. I would try again at the parts store or try a different store or online. You can still get the single connector design.

The newer style requires more wiring and it's a hassle unless it was set up for it. Try to stick to the single design.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »
I have a 77 Chevy k10, I had to replace the fuel selector valve. The new I picked up Autozone has 5 connectors instead of the one connector on the one I removed. Does and one know which connector port to hook up my single lead too? I installed the valve and the truck runs fine, but I cant switch tanks. any advice would be helpful. Thanks....

When you say "connectors", do you mean ports (where a fuel hose hooks up to), or do you mean it has 5 electrical connections ?

Does it look like this one from O'reilly's auto parts.

It has 3 ports for the gas lines and 1 electrical connection.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »
Dvdswan has posted the correct style switching unit.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 03:43:00 AM »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline w.han1972

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:51:35 PM »
The original one had 6 fuel ports and one electric connection, the one I picked up from AutoZone has 6 fuel ports and 5 electrical connections. That's what they said would fit, and it works, just only can run one tank. 

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »
if you can only run one tank why have it at all?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jed

• New Users
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
This is a similar problem that I have run into.  I was in the process of replacing my fuel lines and trying to be gentle with disconnecting them, but ended breaking one of the 3/8 nipples off the fuel tank selector valve.  Mine is the 6 outlet with one electrical connector.  It appears from other posts this part use to be available on amazon, but unfortunately they must have depleted their stock over a year ago.  I can find an identical one anywhere online.  Ebay has some listed by AC delco, but the wire stud appears too short to fit the socket end of the wiring harness, so I am doubtful that it will work, but was wondering if someone has successfully tried. 

Another option I see is getting an updated one with the 5 pin electrical plug.  and it seems one or two of you have re-wired and retro fit one.  I was wondering how well that worked and if there is anywhere you could supply a picture of how it was rewired.  It appears you can buy the pigtail plugs, but would appreciate someone with some experience to chime in on what they would suggest.  any help would be greatly appreciated.