Author Topic: Trying to make up my mind  (Read 3367 times)

Offline 86Chevy3

Trying to make up my mind
« on: September 04, 2015, 01:22:41 PM »
In the process of rebuilding my 86, almost done with the chassis now and starting to think about what I want to do for the drive train. I previously had a 383 and turbo 350 and a 3.73 gear with a locker. I was originally dead set on an ls swap in the beginning but have been going back and forth on it since I still have the 383 I'm thinking about just going back with that and throwing some nitrous at it and put an overdrive tranny behind it. I have a 6.2 ls short block in my garage but I think it would nickel and dime me to death to get it all put together by the time I buy all the sensors and everything. So if I was going to do an ls swap I would prob just get a junkyard 5.3 or 6.0. What do you guys think? Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Trying to make up my mind
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 01:52:26 PM »
To help, list the pro's and con's of each and what is the outcome.  You haven't mentioned your intended use and budget which always come into play, at least with me.  For me I am a stickler for details, my wife says I have OCD...  What is important, laying down rubber or racing?  MPG and being able to take it on a long haul without stopping every 100 miles or so for fuel, or gallons per smile flat out toy?

Maybe this response helped, maybe not.  My interest is nostalgia and it is only stock once, but do love all what I see except when you chop the frame up to make one drag the bumper and then it is useless to use it as a truck. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 06:08:14 PM »
We have the same dilemma

We have a 77 -ish   K-10 with a worn out 350 & TBI and a 5 speed 3.73 gears and 35" tires that's my sons daily driver

Gonna have to replace the engine and can't decide whether to go back with a normal 350 or a vortec or a LS

The LS 5.3 will be nice.  But will  nickle and dime us on the install
But we don't want to go back with a regular 350 since this one has wiped cam lobes and I figure that's gonna happen again unless we use a roller cam engine

Good part is we don't have to pass any emission test and the truck was a stolen recovered with a state issued VIN
So no worries of hurting the value since all the numbers are ground off of the engine Trans frame and body

Makes buying parts a pain though since we have no idea what year it really is

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 06:11:31 PM by roundhouse »

Offline Magic1

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »
We have the same dilemma

We have a 77 -ish   K-10 with a worn out 350 & TBI and a 5 speed 3.73 gears and 35" tires that's my sons daily driver

Gonna have to replace the engine and can't decide whether to go back with a normal 350 or a vortec or a LS

The LS 5.3 will be nice.  But will  nickle and dime us on the install
But we don't want to go back with a regular 350 since this one has wiped cam lobes and I figure that's gonna happen again unless we use a roller cam engine

Good part is we don't have to pass any emission test and the truck was a stolen recovered with a state issued VIN
So no worries of hurting the value since all the numbers are ground off of the engine Trans frame and body

Makes buying parts a pain though since we have no idea what year it really is

I had the same problem finding parts for mine when I got it. Through trial and error I found out it was an 82 body on a 78 frame. Made a whole lot of wasted trips to the parts store.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:28:24 PM »
We think the cab is a 77-78 because it has the separate rollers for the seat belts

The doors are 73 and we know that since 73 only doors had tiny rollers on the window tracks

Had a Dana 44 which they supposedly stopped using in 76-77 ?

Radiator support has vacuum hose routing sticker for 1980

Has GMC fender badges ,
Chevrolet tailgate

No numbers on anything
Not not the frame.
Not on the engine
Not on the Trans
Not on the axles

It's all wiped clean

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:45:47 AM by roundhouse »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »
roundhouse, is the VIN not in the door?  That should tell you what year cab it is...

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »

roundhouse, is the VIN not in the door?  That should tell you what year cab it is...
state issued VIN riveted in the doorframe

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »
Ah...