Author Topic: HELP!!! Brake Drums....  (Read 18610 times)

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: drum
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
On a full floating 14bolt you have to remove the hub to get the drum off.  I fixed gfoote link which is an excellent article by the way...

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Drums
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
Depending on whether it has a key retainer or lock washer retainer...

Remove wheel.
Removing Or Installing Axle Shaft Bolts
Remove axle shaft and axle shaft gasket (if used) or clean off RTV sealer.
Removing Or Installing Wheel Bearing Adjusting Nut
Bend tang of lock washer away from the outer lock nut and remove the outer lock nut, lock washer and inner lock nut.
Remove outer wheel bearing.
Pull hub and drum straight off axle housing. If brake lining is dragging on brake drum, back off brake adjustment by rotating adjustment screw.

or

Remove wheel, axle shaft and axle shaft gasket (if used) or clean off RTV sealer.
Remove retaining ring and key, then remove locknut from housing tube, using appropriate tool.
Removing Or Installing Wheel Bearing Adjusting Nut
Using appropriate tool remove adjusting nut from housing tube.
Pull hub and drum straight off axle housing. If brake lining is dragging on brake drum, back off brake adjustment by rotating adjustment screw.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline markzepp820

• Registered Users
got it!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
I finally got the drum off. I took the axle shaft out, then removed the nut off the hub that requires a special tool. Didn't have that special tool, so I used a screw driver and hammer. Then I removed the locknut, then inner nut, and then she slid right off! Piece of cake, I just wish my manual would have told me this in the brake section. But I have to say, it was very inconvient to remove part of the drivetrain just to get to the brakes. This has got to be one of the things I hate about full-floaters. Anywase, thank you all very much for your input. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!