Author Topic: parking brake  (Read 9397 times)

Offline the383

parking brake
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »
Hello, new to site I have a 79 stepside and I have a couple of questions , first I think my parking(emergency) brake is sticking,I really don't need it ,can you just remove the cables and cut off at wheels or do you have to do anything with the rear brakes? second question I'm replacing the rear leaf springs and it looks pretty straight forward or should I be on the look out for something?

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: parking brake
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:50:09 PM »
A better alternative is to fix them.  You say you think they are sticking, what makes you think they are?
Leaf springs are under tension so I would lift the vehicle to remove them.

Offline the383

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »
Well the cables are very rusty and frayed , also when I put in gear it acts like the brakes are on really have to rev up the motor to get it to move , I've checked trans fluid its fine and I have a stock torque converter.I guess it could be a stuck caliper or something but I really don't need the parking brake ( going to be a weekend cruiser).

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:55:09 PM »
Is this with no tension on the cable.  You can easily check to see what it is by jacking up a rear wheel and giving it a spin.  If it moves, that isn't the problem.  I would suspect the front brake hoses.  If you can drive it does the fronts start smoking or putting out a lot of heat?  (don't touch them)

You never know when you will need a parking brake.  I wouldn't ditch it for the sake of thinking you won't be needing it.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »
Do not ditch the parking brake. Take the drums off and make sure both shoes sit on the anchor pin. If one of them are off of the anchor pin you have a sticking cable or too tight. I just redid the brake cables 2 weeks ago in my 85 K20 and It cost me $23.00 from Autozone. I know the guy there so I get parts for a bit less but I'm sure it will still be cheap enough. The other thing I did was modified the link so my equalizer would function better and I am so glad I have a parking brake that A)doesn't stick causing my rear brakes to function improperly and B)will actually hold my truck on a grade.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bfofish

• Too Many Toys..... Not Enough Time
  • Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:14:32 PM »
 :o :o :o  NO PARKING BRAKE  ??? ??? ???
I won't be without mine.It saved my life once,I blew a brake line on a two lane when some @$$ in a farm tractor pulled out in front of me right before a curve.(I might have  been exceeding the limit a little.)I slowly put on the parking brake while down shifting and got her down to a safe speed,then limped it home.
1987 Stepside 2wd , 2003 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab

Offline the383

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »
ok , I'll keep them and look for problems elsewhere.thanks for the input.

Offline 76_Scottsdale

• Registered Users
  • I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »
Hey Vile, I was just wondering how you altered your equilizer to help hold your truck better on a grade. I just ordered a new parking brake pedal assembly cause mines shot. Thanks.
1976 Scottsdale K20
350 C.I.D.
700R4
NP205
2 1/2" Lift
305/70/R16 BFG MT
True Dual 3" Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 05:06:21 AM »
All I did was made each cable nice and relaxed in the qualizer and joined them to the intermediate cable by taking two links and straightening one end on each link. then I welded the links and it came out to be perfect so I have just the right amount of tension with pedal travel.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 04:49:25 PM »
I'm not positive but it might be illegal to not have an e-brake. I've known alot of these trucks to have sticky e-brakes but I've never used mine on my current truck. But it is still there if I need it.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor