Author Topic: Battery Problem  (Read 3598 times)

Offline cvbear

• Registered Users
Battery Problem
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:56:31 PM »
We have the electric fans wired directly to the positive terminal on the battery.  I wanted to disconnect the battery for some work on the truck.  When i tried to disconnect the positive terminal, the bolt turns but does not loosen.  I am guessing that something is broken inside the battery case and letting the area the bolt goes into spin.  Pictures are attached.
The only thing i can think of is cutting the battery cable and putting a new end on it.  That stinks because the battery is still good.  I think there is enough slack to reach the battery with a new end but I am not certain.  No problem with the negative cable.  Any ideas would be welcome.
1984 SWB Silverado fleetside, 350 crate engine, 350 trans

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
Re: Battery Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
I would recommend cutting the ends of the two small wires off at the battery, then remove the positive battery cable from the atarter. Take the batter out with the cable attached and tell them to replace the battery and cable since you cant remove it.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline codyC10kid

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
Try this...Cut the 2 wires you have hooked up so that you can pry with a flat head screw driver and turn the bolt out at the same time...that might work...Make shure your loosening and not tightening

Offline ssapach

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
I would cut the plastic covers off the ends of the cables, then you could see a little more of what's going on.  All that is inside of the plastic end is a flat washer-like piece with some small bumps to keep it from turning on the terminal.

I've cut these ends off cables before and the end is still fine for bolting to the battery.  But with the plastic removed, you might be able to get a pair of pliers or vise grips onto the battery terminal while you undo the bolt.

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:18 AM »
Sounds like the threaded insert in the battery is spinning inside the lead casting. Take a screw driver and insert the tip  flat blade ) between the terminal and battery. Pry out on it with a little pressure and turn the bolt to see if the added tension will hold tge insert well enough for the bolt to unthread. If the insert comes oit, you needed a battery anyway. I always disconnect the negative first and hook it up last as a safety measure. I would only cut the cable as a last measure unless youre going to replace it anyway
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline jaredts

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »
I would try the other suggestions first, but you could drill the head off the bolt.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
     I have run into this problem before with this type of battery.  I do not like them, I perfer the top post and use an adapter to hook stuff to.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom