Author Topic: windshield wipers dont work  (Read 9273 times)

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
windshield wipers dont work
« on: May 13, 2012, 05:21:27 PM »
85 chev wipers wont work, i can hear the sprayer pump working but no juice. i can not get the wipers to move. i jumped the motor off the battery and i can make it turn. when i turn the key on i can see the wipers return to home. i have the steering wheel off. should i change the switch? i dont see how the stalk comes off though. i have a new motor from napa but it doesnt have the pump on it. and i cant make the old pump fit on the new motor. doesnt have the shafts.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: windshield wipers dont work
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:33:07 AM »
      Have you got the wiring diagram off the tech section on here for your truck ?  How good are you at wiring and electrical ? 
     In the 81 - 87 engine.jpg., it shows the wiper motor and wiring, what have you checked and what have you not checked ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »
i have the wiring diagrams printed off. the motor works i jumped it off the battery. i can hear the washer relay clicking when i hit the mister. if i move the wipers with a battery then turn the key on they will return home. that is all i have tried so far. oh and fuses are all good.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »
     If you can hear the relay clicking, it sounds like you are getting power to relay, make sure relay is actually getting power and ground on the power side of relay.  Then make sure that incoming power is there to activate motor, then when you turn key on and wiper switch that relay is actually "opening" up and allowing power to go to motor.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »
turns out it is the switch, i haven't changed it yet though beacuse i wanna add cruise and dont want to pull the column apart twice

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:47:26 PM »
     Well that makes sense, I would not want to pull it apart twice either.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom