Author Topic: LS3 and TR6060 swap  (Read 4889 times)

Offline t.taykowski

• New Users
LS3 and TR6060 swap
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
New to the forum, thanks for allowing me to take part.  Attaching pics of the truck I have been working on.

Have been putting an 86 SWB together was almost complete when I had the misfortune of being rear ended in my daily 13 SS Camaro with a LS3 and TR6060 trans.  I bought the Camaro back from the insurance today and really want to take a few steps back and swap the drive train into my 86.  I have been told I should sell the TR6060 and go with a T56 magnum or viper.  I don't plan to make this LS3 a racer possibly a little cam and headers.  Was also told the TR6060 will not work because the way the drive shaft is made? Don't really understand that so if anyone knows more please enlighten me.
Realize the trans tunnel will need to be enlarged, unless I go with a 4L60e or 4L80e, but I have this 6 speed standard sitting here that I know is good, have even considered installing the 4.5 link rear end under it as well.  In my mind the options are wide open considering I have this car sitting here for the pillaging. 

Has anyone on here done this swap yet?  Or can possibly point me to a thread that already discusses this topic would really be appreciated.   I tried searching but didn't find much that looked relevant. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline roundhouse

Re: LS3 and TR6060 swap
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
I don't have any knowledge of that transmission. But o don't understand why you wouldn't be able to use it

The driveshaft may require a custom shaft be made perhaps using the front section of the camaro shaft and the rear section of the pickup shaft but drive shaft shops  have done that kind of thing for years

And kudos for using a manual Trans

What's the gear ratio in the truck and in the camaro?

You may be able to use the camaro axle as well if it's close to the same width so it will fit between the leaf springs 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline t.taykowski

• New Users
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »
The truck gears are 2:73. The Camaro has 3:94 I believe.  I just purchased a swb frame that I am going to do this build on. My plan right now is to use the 4.5 link rear suspension. Will have independent rear suspension. Would like to change the front over as well using a coil over instead of the strut setup. Bembro brakes all the way around with antilock. Best part or maybe a curse I have the entire car so the possibilities are limited only by my imagination and skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:43:10 PM »
There is no reason you can't put the entire camaro drive train under that truck. Just like you said, your only limit is imagination and skill is only limited by what you allow yourself to learn or not. You could build custom mounts and anything else you needed to put independent rear suspension, 6 speed manual transmission, 6.2L engine and it would all be modern technology and you can have 4 wheel disc brakes. I say you should go for it, it would be super cool and fun. Would make a really cool truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

LTZ Cheyenne C20