73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

ball joint slides right out, solutions?

(1/5) > >>

88rxna:
hello, im currently TRYING to update my front end and i am stuck at the moment. my 1984 c10's passenger side socket is too big apparently. the new MOOG ball joint slides right out. i am hoping to find a good solution that's cost efficient. ive tried a couple local auto part stores and only 1 can get an oversized ball joint and they want $60 up front because its a special order!!!
ive attached a few pictures so you may see the difference in size. im wondering if someone already used an oversized ball joint (the one i pulled out)? not sure id trust tack welding it in place.
is it gonna be easier to just order a whole lower arm with the ball joint already pressed in?

VileZambonie:
Just get the problem solver ball joint. you didn't specify upper or lower

VileZambonie:
Lower from Napa PCC 104112

88rxna:
sorry about that, it is the lower.
i ordered 2 in case the other side is the same way. thanks so much for the help, i hope these fit!
is this a common ball joint for the issue? i searched for a while and could not find anything.

MIKE S:
I have had this happen before. The LCA is stamped steel. Pressing the ball joint in and out can pull metal from the hole. If it has been pressed crooked it can stretch the hole. I have tack welded the ball joint to the LCA before to fix this. Its either that or replace the arm. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version