73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

Frame measurements

(1/3) > >>

mercado1211:
I have been posting here trying to get some input but don’t think I’ve included information. So now I’ve included measurements of the frame using a plumb bob and markings on the garage floor. It appears my frame has a slight diamond shape it’s out of true by about 5/16, is that enough to cause bed to cab vertical gap issues? It appears to have some twist which might be causing the front passenger wheel to dip about 3/4 of an inch. Should I just take it to a frame shop and have them give me an estimate? They charge 75 bucks to tell me what’s wrong and how, if it can be fixed

Thanks for looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish_Alley:
i honestly dont think youre going to find a answer on here about frames. ive been on here a few years and dont think i recall someone who ever mentioning they worked in a frame shop or really worked on frames. we do have some guys  who do body work but that might be about it. but if you think about it, the frame not being aligned this should throw the rest of it off. by how far idk, maybe a body shop could tell you but then they might exaggerate it to buy your business   

mercado1211:
Thanks for the reply, I just finished swapping the rear leaf springs and gained about about a quarter inch in the front right passenger. The passenger rear spring was sagging about an inch compared to drivers side. It still sagging in the front passenger side a bit but not as bad. I think the tank has something to do with it since I removed the drivers side completely and left only the passenger side, thinking with fuel in it its got to contribute to sag to that side. I’m still gonna take it to the frame shop. Figure for 75 bucks it won’t hurt. But like you said it’s off by 5/16 corner to opposite corner and they might exaggerate something that isn’t that critical.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

JohnnyPopper:
Wow Market-Man! Those are good measurements!

Looks like your frame got a little tweaked, I would definitely have the frame shop take a look at that price. 

I think it's enough to worry about the bed lining up.

As far as the passenger dipping, have the frame shop look for a vertical tweak.

Welcome from SoCal!

mercado1211:
Thanks Popper,

Appreciate it. Yeah I’m gonna make an appointment next week with the collision shop. I was badgering him for a rough price, he got a little irritated but finally said it could be a couple hundred bucks to five or six hundred. But he said he’ll put it on the rack and check it for 75 bucks. Truck drives well and the numbers I came up with when measuring were not that severe so I’m hoping it can be fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version