Author Topic: Holley Choke Adjustment  (Read 2676 times)

Offline VeeTwin60

Holley Choke Adjustment
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »
Hey guys,

I've got a stumbling issue and I was looking at adjustments on my carb as possibly being the culprit.  I notice at full operating temp, the choke is almost closed (as shown in attached photo)... is this right, or should it be wide open?  How do I adjust this if it needs it?
1986 C-10 1/2 TON 2WD SWB

Offline Wardog

Re: Holley Choke Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »
Loosen the 3 choke housing cover screws enough to rotate the cover.  Then, rotate the cover to adjust the choke.  Make sure that the ignition had been switched on long enough to warm the choke coil up.  You may hafta do it several times to get it adjusted right.

Offline VeeTwin60

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:02:18 AM »
I just tried that.  With the engine at full temp, I turned it clockwise until the choke plate was fully opened and locked it down.

I think that's backwards though.  Everything I've seen on here and surfing the web says to do the adjustment cold to make sure it snaps closed on startup.

Offline Wardog

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:24:24 PM »
I had to go back and forth with mine.  You wanna ensure that it is fully open once the coils are completely warm.  You can watch as it opens up after the ignition is switched.  I live in a relatively warm area so I don't need much choke; colder areas require more attention.  The fast idle cam works with the choke needs to be adjusted as well, that's on the underside of the choke assembly.  I've seen folks make the adjustment while the carb is bolted on, I'm not that good, I take it off and trial and error it till it's where I want.  Choke alignments are typically the most difficult to perform since you need your truck both cold and hot.  Good luck.

Offline VeeTwin60

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »
Yeah, I'm finding that out.  I had it adjusted wide open when hot, but the next morning it wouldn't snap shut when cold.  So, I turned it back a bit.

I'll just keep adjusting it until I get it right.