Author Topic: edelbrock intake with stock qjet?  (Read 7733 times)

Offline txchainsawgogi

edelbrock intake with stock qjet?
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
They suggest a 600cfm carb with their performer eps manifold...or maybe a 650. Could I run my 4 barrel and still see results?

Offline rwhit57

• Registered Users
Re: edelbrock intake with stock qjet?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
You can run the Q-jet, but it is a spreadbore and the intake is for a square bore carb, so you have to have an adapter plate. You should see a little improvement over the stock intake.
Randy from Okla

Whoever said "Money can't buy happiness" has obviously never seen a speed shop!

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
cool. i know i'd need an adapter, i saw one for pretty cheap at pepboys today and thats what got me thinking about looking for an intake again. the one i have my eye on is about 80 bucks brand new and i want to get it before its too late.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:05:45 PM »
I would suggest running a spread bore specific manifold or just keep your stock intake.  Such an adapter can more than nullify any performance advantage of the intake.

The Weiand 8125 looks like a nice intake for $8 more than the Edelbrock 2701:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-8125/

Here is Summit's version of that intake, which looks to me like a re-branded Weiand:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-226008/?rtype=10
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:08:26 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »
Agreed with eventhorizon.

Whichever one you buy, make sure it is the pattern for the carb that you will be using.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline rwhit57

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:08:48 PM »
I think in a pretty stock application you wouldn't see much disadvantage to running an adapter plate. The adapter plate acts as a carb spacer which actually helps, so if you lost anything in the adapter plenum it would probably be a trade-off with the extra height. I don't think it would be enough to notice one way or the another.  I agree if you haven't purchased a manifold, choose the one to go with the carb your going to be running for awhile.     
Randy from Okla

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
Hmm. My intake opening doesn't look like either of those, it actually looks like the edelbrock I had in mind. The adapter I was thinking is just the spacer that lines up the bolt holes between the two...not one that changes the shape between the two...if that makes sense.

Offline rwhit57

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:00:38 AM »
The intakes Horizon showed you are spreadbore design, but will run either carb. Edelbrock carbs have 2 sets of bolt patterns and one lines up with the Q-jet. You can run a sqarebore carb on a spreadbore intake if the bolt holes line up and they seal off, but you can't run a spreadbore on a sqbore intake because the secondary butterflies will hit the plenum. Thus the need for the adapter. This help?
Randy from Okla

Offline rwhit57

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 12:07:14 AM »
Here ya go a pic of both carbs.
Randy from Okla

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
Honestly, if we are talking about a bone stock engine, I would keep the stock intake.  Not worth the time or money in my opinion, unless you just want something pretty to look at under the hood.

I think in a pretty stock application you wouldn't see much disadvantage to running an adapter plate. The adapter plate acts as a carb spacer which actually helps, so if you lost anything in the adapter plenum it would probably be a trade-off with the extra height. I don't think it would be enough to notice one way or the another.

I think the major problem with an adapter that tapers a Q-jet to a square bore is that it isn't very compatible with a carb that has the vast majority of its airflow through the secondaries.  Thus airflow and fuel distribution are negatively impacted.  The four hole style looks particularly offensive.

But you may be absolutely correct that a stock engine wouldn't care either way.  Though if this turns out to be true, I would think that the engine also wouldn't care whether it has a stock or aftermarket intake.  Just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:22:16 AM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
Well it won't always be stock. I'm putting parts on it as I find good deals on them. Id like to put new heads on it and a new cam shaft. This intake I can get for 80... 60 if I haggle. Way cheaper than 139+ at a parts store or 120 from summit plus shipping.

Also the old one has surface rust and caked on oil and dirt.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
I'm not a fan of the adapter plate mostly because it just complicates things for the most part. There are more gaskets required, and you may end up modifying or having to replace the brackets for your throttle and trans cables because the carb will be sitting higher.

Is the intake that you could get a good deal on a square bore?

If it was me I would save up to swap the heads, cam, and intake all at once. You could spend $30 or more to gasket a new intake on, and then have to take it off and get new gaskets again when you swap the heads. Also, if you really want to make some more power with that motor, and end up finding a good deal on some vortec heads, you would want the vortec intake to go along with it.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »
I'm not a fan of the adapter plate mostly because it just complicates things for the most part. There are more gaskets required, and you may end up modifying or having to replace the brackets for your throttle and trans cables because the carb will be sitting higher.

Is the intake that you could get a good deal on a square bore?

If it was me I would save up to swap the heads, cam, and intake all at once. You could spend $30 or more to gasket a new intake on, and then have to take it off and get new gaskets again when you swap the heads. Also, if you really want to make some more power with that motor, and end up finding a good deal on some vortec heads, you would want the vortec intake to go along with it.

ahhh i was thinking this intake worked with vortec heads.

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
next question. whats the difference between an egr intake and a non?? ive heard of egr block plates but never seen one installed.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
I have heard that a regular intake will work with the vortec heads, but there is some modification required with grinding the bolt holes into slots to get them to line up. Better off just getting the right one.

Some aftermarket intakes are cast without the holes for an EGR valve. If you have a stock intake or an aftermarket intake that's set up for installing an EGR, you can block those holes off with the plate if you decide to remove the EGR. If you have one without the holes, you can't add an EGR later. Personally, I eliminated mine first with a block off plate on the stock manifold, and when I bought my edelbrock intake I got the one without EGR.