Author Topic: Vortec heads  (Read 2884 times)

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
  • Chevy! My drug of choice!
Vortec heads
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
Anyone know how much a set of 12558062 (Saw tooth) casting Vortec heads are worth? These are straight off the motor. Haven't even been cleaned off yet.

Offline square81

• Registered Users
Re: Vortec heads
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:49:57 PM »
Maybe 100-150 bucks if condition is unknown. You don't know if they have cracks, warped etc. I'd maybe lay more down if they had been checked.

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »
The reason I'm asking is that I found a set of these heads in a wrecking yard for $44.00 ea (+$10.00 core). I'll need to have them checked out by a Machine shop once I clean them up.

Offline square81

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 05:52:27 PM »
I guess you would only be out 100 bucks. Ask them if you can have them checked before you lay the cash down. Its worth a shot. I know they make a good upgrade on a budget.

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »
Their policy is "Pay first, check later" However, they did say if I brought them back with the Yellow crayon marks still visible they would do an in yard exchange. (No money back though) I'd have to keep hunting for another head.

Offline LeftysRodandCustom

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
Go for it, if they'll exchange them then you'd only be out the cash to have em checked and thats never guaranteed. A word to the wise, have new spring seats cut and new springs installed at the same time if they check out crack free. I'm assuming if you're bothering to source a vortec head you are looking for some power and that the cam will get swapped in the process. Stock vortec has a max lift of .475

Offline BADAZ chevy guy

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »
Not sure what cam I'm going with yet, but yes it will probably have a higher lift than stock. I know I'm not going to radical, basically mid to mid/upper power curve. I won't be racing, but I'd like the power on the Hwy if I need it. And turn a few heads when I'm sitting at the traffic light. lol

Offline LeftysRodandCustom

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »
I hear ya there man. Just be sure you dont go over .475" on a stock vortec, the springs will bind. The older heads would take more lift without machining but these definitely will not.