Author Topic: Post up any and all exhaust pics Please.  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Uno99

Post up any and all exhaust pics Please.
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »
I'm getting ready to fab up my new exhaust and would like to see others setups.  I searched without much luck I wanna see exhaust s taight out the back, angled out, side exit.  H-pipe, and x-pipe.  Chambered, & Bullet muflers whatever everthing is welcome. If anyone has pics of the truck jacked up or on the lift that would be ideal. Thx is advancee.
1981 GMC High Sierra SBO 350 LT Headers 2.5" Tru Duals, H-pipe, Flowmaster SUPER 44 Mufflers 2000 TCI Stall PICS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2410355

Online Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Post up any and all exhaust pics Please.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:45:17 AM »
Its not an installed pic, but we have X pipes in the catalog for sale.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:32:06 PM »
Take a look at the thread of mine on the SWB conversion. there's some pics of it on there before I chopped away
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Uno99

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:24:23 PM »
Its not an installed pic, but we have X pipes in the catalog for sale.

Install pics are welcome.
1981 GMC High Sierra SBO 350 LT Headers 2.5" Tru Duals, H-pipe, Flowmaster SUPER 44 Mufflers 2000 TCI Stall PICS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2410355

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »
It took me a while and these aren't the best pictures, but here goes:
This dual system was installed by the previous owner at one of our local muffler shops.  You'll notice that they used the stock down pipes (truck still has stock exhaust manifolds) before it Y'ed into one pipe which(i    think?) is the way the factory originally did it?:

i'm not sure why they did this and not go all the way with headers, but i kind of like it this way--not too loud.  i'm still debating whether i want to go with headers or not.  Since i can't weld or bend pipe right now, it will probably stay the way it is for a while.

It then flows into two cats:

Then into the mufflers just before the rear axle.  i believe these are the flowmaster 40 series.

The pipes kick up a little after the muffler to clear the axle and go all the way out to rear bumper:

Another thing i like about these trucks is that you can get the pipes relatively straight all the way out to the back bumper.  And less bends equals less restriction.  Try doing that in a camaro.

i'm debating whether to go with headers because i think i can get better mpg, but because of the noise factor it may not be feasible;  i work early 1st shift alot and sometimes late 3rd shift and i'm a considerate neighbor (unlike some of you).  It's already marginally loud now.  If i did go with headers i would probably go with an x or h pipe for noise reasons.

i'm pretty happy with the flowmasters.  At idle there is a healthy rumble but not too loud.  At idle to about 45 it's got a noticeable rumble but nothing really obnoxious.   It's actually quiet at 55-65ish and the loudest thing is actually wind noise.  After 65 it gets loud(er) again.

i've got some questions of my own about your truck, but i'll ask those in the other section.

Offline Uno99

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:07:14 PM »
Thx for the post STEWERT and by the way go with headers and let that baby breath :)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 08:30:03 AM »
But i thought that you already had a dual exhaust?  What happened to it?

By the way, i also have a longbed.  The significance of that is i read that you should get the mufflers as far back as possible so as to further reduce backpressure.  Looking at the pictures, it appears that there is room  to mount them just before the rear bumper.  So, you might want to consider that when you're designing your system.   Actually, if you look really closely to the very last picture at the other car---a cadillac deville (not mine, my parents'es)  that's what they [cadillac] did;  You can see the mufflers right under the rear bumper. (unfortunately, it's not a true dual exhaust)

i will probably go with headers eventually as the performance and (hopefully) mileage gains are just too much to pass up.  My ideal set would be:
1) Headers,   Walker, Hedman or Edlebrock TEC
2) Electric cut outs possibly connected/bolted to the header collectors
3) Probably an X or H pipe.
Next, even though i can be emmisions test exempt, i think i would keep the cat converters on;  We have to be mindful of the environment now.  (Not to mention it's a federal offense to remove cats if they were originally installed from the factory.)
3) In that case, a Y adaper after each pipe after the x or h pipe so i can have 4 cats and mufflers.  Yes, a quad exhaust for maximized backpressure reduction, fuel economy and quietness.
4) continue with the flowmaster 40's because i like them and they seem to be working out good.  If possible, mounted at the rear bumper.

Actually i heard that International Harvester mufflers flow really good but are still quiet.
Most of this stuff is in the book "how to hotrod your small block chevy."  You may want to check it out.  It's a pretty good book.

Offline Uno99

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 07:51:59 PM »
I do already have duals but not the way I want. I have stock manifolds to 2.5" piping to my sweet thunder mufflers, no h or x pipe. Then it necks down to 2.25" over the axles and out back.  The whole system besides the muffler has been on there for over 15 years.  I'm going with shorty headers, h-pipe, super 44 flowmasters, and 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust tubing. I

Offline 79SHORTWIDE

• Registered Users
    • 79 SHORTWIDE
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:40:03 PM »
You can check out my system for ideas as well. I did use different headers than everyone else and changed the tranny crossmember also. Mine is listed under {MEMBERS PROJECTS--My 79 shortwide}. I hope it helps. It's not the absolute best but I think it turned out well for my first exhaust job. It should be plenty noisy  ;D