Author Topic: Thrush mufflers vs Flowmaster  (Read 40294 times)

Offline greatdane

• Registered Users
Re: Thrush mufflers vs Flowmaster
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
I am going to run Hooker Areo Chambers Mufflers. I love the sound of them! Probably in 3" in and out dumped at the rear axle. Go to u-tube and search them they sound mean! GGGRRRRRRR.......
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:23:53 PM by greatdane »
'84 GMC Sierra Classic SWB 2WD
'08 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 2WD
'74 AMC Matador 2dr Coupe

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »
I put a set of them on an 82 K5 with a 454 BBC and it sounded like a garbage truck. You might not like them in real life.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline greatdane

• Registered Users
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »
I've herd them on a 327 here in town that is built similar to my engine and I think they sound way better than slowmasters........ Just my opinion! I have herd them on some big blocks on u-tube that didn't sound as good TO much GGGRRR...... lol! 

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »
Here's a vid of some guy with aerochambers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82lsQC4tT2Q

This is the only vid I think I have of the flows on my 74 unless I find a few more

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Sabaka454/?action=view&current=454004.flv
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline greatdane

• Registered Users
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »
It sounds like to me you have a stronger running engine than the other guy!http://www.holleytv.com/video/1598
You have to admit they sound good on this bad boy!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:30:55 PM by greatdane »

Offline greatdane

• Registered Users
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 09:27:32 PM »
To get back to the original subject. I owned thrush mufflers in 2 1/2" on my 74 AMC Matador and changed to 3" Flows! The flows were better in everyway!!! IMO

Offline JDaniel

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
To get back to the original subject. I owned thrush mufflers in 2 1/2" on my 74 AMC Matador and changed to 3" Flows! The flows were better in everyway!!! IMO

When you see the difference in price of the 2 ,the flowmaster is more expensive , it's not only the name that you pay more ,also quality ,that's my opinion.
about sound ,that's just personal taste i guess.
grtz
Peter

Offline greatdane

• Registered Users
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »
Yeah, they all sound way better than stock!!! Its just something to bench race about.......

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »
Maybe I'm a little slow, but I can't for the life of me see how anything with any type of baffles or anything in the flow stream can out flow a glass pack that is straight through. No way. It's just like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. When does more water flow from the hose? With your thumb over the hole or the hole left wide open? Just my 2 cents.

Well I encourage you to do some research then. When you put your thumb over the end of the garden hose what happens to the jet stream of water? Does it increase it's velocity? Does it increase it's pressure? How does this effect your desired goal? If you run your tap water and stick your finger underneath the flow of water what happens? If you put the corner of the rounded part of your finger into the sream of water what happens? Why do people port and polish heads? Why do we make intake and exhaust sytems with bends in them? Why are some runners longer than others? Why do we run different size tubes? Why have a dual plane intake instead of a single plane? Why have variable intake geometry? With research and study you will see that the effects of different mufflers and headers and diameters etc you can gain HP. It's not snake oil when flow technology and dyno results show that the end result is a positive gain.
I have done some research. Maybe that's why I'm a little confused. I understand that porting and polishing heads makes them flow better. I understand bends and different lengths of runners. To keep them equal length.  I understand why we have dual plane and single plane intakes. I don't know anything about variable intake geometry. I also understand that exhaust gases travel through your exhaust pipes as pulses when each cylinder is fired. I also understand that if you run too big an exhaust pipe you will slow down those pulses and and make less power. I guess I just get a little lost on the downstream side of the engine. If you have everything flowing along nicely with the correct sized exhaust pipe and you put a restriction,  then you lose some of what you worked so hard to gain. If you use the water pipe example, yes, the water downstream of your thumb does indeed speed up because it is taking a pressure drop across an orifice basically. But the water upstream of your thumb slows down and builds pressure.This would be in the engine. I wasn't trying to make anyone mad. Sorry if I did.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
I have done some research. Maybe that's why I'm a little confused. I understand that porting and polishing heads makes them flow better. I understand bends and different lengths of runners. To keep them equal length.  I understand why we have dual plane and single plane intakes. I don't know anything about variable intake geometry. I also understand that exhaust gases travel through your exhaust pipes as pulses when each cylinder is fired. I also understand that if you run too big an exhaust pipe you will slow down those pulses and and make less power. I guess I just get a little lost on the downstream side of the engine. If you have everything flowing along nicely with the correct sized exhaust pipe and you put a restriction,  then you lose some of what you worked so hard to gain. If you use the water pipe example, yes, the water downstream of your thumb does indeed speed up because it is taking a pressure drop across an orifice basically. But the water upstream of your thumb slows down and builds pressure.This would be in the engine. I wasn't trying to make anyone mad. Sorry if I did.

Actually, you get a little boost downstream with the restriction.
Exhaust cools as it travels away from the exhaust port, and slows.  A slight restriction will speed it back up
'90 Suburban TBI 350

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
There's lots of good info and sound clips on many of the muffler manufacturers. ex

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1

I am actually writing curriculum specifically on exhaust technology as we speak. When you choose a muffler the most important thing to most people is the sound both inside and out. Dyno results by comparrison from one muffler to the other aren't going to show huge differences in performance mufflers.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
I had a set of Flowmaster 40s on a 69 once and at about 35 to 40 MPH the resonance inside the cab would hurt your eardrums. It would just roar like being inside a drum. I hated driving through the city limits of our little town.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
wow that's a great looking back end, with the polished louvered tailgate band, awesome looking.

I have to 2nd the interior drone, it is there and is annoying to some. Dad had a flow 40 on his truck and had bad drone, he hated it, I was cool with it, he has cherry bomb extremes now and it does have some, not as bad or as much as the flow 40 he had. It was an original 40 series, not delta flow or anything.

Here's a video of the cherry bomb extremes....
http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i209/alwaysbroke53/?action=view&current=100_3709.mp4
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454