Author Topic: help installing new distributor.  (Read 13745 times)

Offline txchainsawgogi

Re: next on the list, distributor/rotor upgrade questions!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
So if I get the first ebay dist and an ignition box, It'll still use the hei and I won't need the seperate coil? I've never wired up an ignition box or any engine with an hei.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 11:21:11 AM »
It will be HEI.   The Distributor is HEI, and the MSD 6A box will work with HEI, as well as any other kind of distributor.   The main pain to swapping to hei is you can't use the old power wire to the points dist.  There's a ballast resistor inline to the old dist, and you have to get rid of it or bypass it to use HEI.   Otherwise, the MSD box comes with good instructions, it's not too difficult.  If you're not sure how the dist. should look, go wander around a junkyard and get a look at some HEI cars to see how it's supposed to look.

Good luck!
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 11:23:47 AM »
As far as the HEI is concerned, the MSD 6A box simply replaces the module unit inside the distributor.  The coil-in-cap will remain.  You could still convert it to an external coil if you wanted, but I don't see any advantage in doing so.

Page 16 shows the MSD 6AL wiring for an HEI distributor: http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/msd-6420_frm28645.pdf
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »
Ok ok I get it. I didn't realize you'd be taking out the ignition module and hooking up the ignition box in its place. I thought they worked together somehow. I think I've got it down...might need some help with the wiring but that seems pretty straight forward too.

Will the timing need to be adjusted when swapping out the stock dist?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Don't use an HEI with an MSD ignition module. If you're going to run an MSD ignition, run the ditributor,cap & rotor, wires coil and module. If you use a stock HEI with MSD 6A you're wasting your time.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 10:24:12 PM »
I was thinking about the clear distributor and a non-msd ignition box.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 11:05:29 PM »
Don't use an HEI with an MSD ignition module. If you're going to run an MSD ignition, run the ditributor,cap & rotor, wires coil and module. If you use a stock HEI with MSD 6A you're wasting your time.

Why not just use a stock HEI + MSD cap, rotor, coil, and 6AL?  Or the performance KMJ unit you posted earlier + 6AL box?  (this is what I think txchainsawgogi is planning)  My understanding is that the 6AL replaces the module.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:08:44 PM by eventhorizon66 »

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 01:04:24 AM »
Or the performance KMJ unit you posted earlier + 6AL box?  (this is what I think txchainsawgogi is planning)  My understanding is that the 6AL replaces the module.

That's what I want to do, get that clear dist. and run an ignition box...if I can do that with the stock hei.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »
Speaking from experience, I have run MSD 6a and 6al modules with tuned GM Hei's. While it made a difference the results aren't nearly as good as running a complete system. If you're going to run that distributor, I would just run it but if you want to really upgrade your ignition system go with a complete system and can the HEI.

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Is that dist, coil, ignition kit off ebay I posted what I would need to replace the hei? Its not what I want in the long run but for now I might go with it.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
Unless you have a good reason to do otherwise, it looks like the most cost-effective solution for you would be to just go with a replacement HEI like the one Vile suggested.  An upgraded HEI is about the best bang-for-the-buck ignition system out there and is a very capable performer for any street engine.

If that other system is "not what you want in the long run" don't waste your money.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:59:26 PM by eventhorizon66 »

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 04:47:40 PM »
Rad ill go with that clear dist. Anything I else I should have with it other than new wires and boots?

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »
Well, spark plugs, of course.  And make sure you go with a quality set of plug wires.  I use Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm wires and, while they're not cheap, I think they are very good wires.  Maybe another member can direct you to cheaper set of wires that are also of good quality.

Offline txchainsawgogi

Re: help installing new distributor.
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 05:10:49 PM »
So I got that clear dist. in the mail finally, and I plan on swapping it ou friday/Saturday. I've never done anything to a distributor short of chaning wires!

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: help installing new distributor.
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »
Disconnect the battery.

When you remove the old distributor from the engine, make sure you remember where the rotor is pointing before pulling it out, as well as the distributor housing. A good way to do it is to turn the engine over by hand until the rotor is pointing at the #1 cyl (front driver side). You can use something straight to line up the rotor and make a mark on the firewall with a piece of tape also.

When you remove and replace the distributor, it wont drop right into place, the shaft inside turns a little, so compensate for it when you put it back in. I forgot which direction it turns, but remember which way when you pull the old one out. If it doesnt drop in easy, dont force it. The distributor turns the oil pump shaft as well.

Make sure you know plug wire placement on the cap as well.