Author Topic: Carb to TBI conversion  (Read 22280 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Carb to TBI conversion
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
not really where the cable mounts on the intake but on the tbi unit itself. im not sure if its your problem or not, thats why i was asking for a picture just to see if we could something wrong
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 02:16:18 PM »
Yea I honestly don't get it. Used to work fine, ever since the update parade it's all stopped working.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:06:05 PM by Irish_Alley »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »
get a better profile view. there looks to be slack in the cable and its at a bad angle imo.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 09:56:57 PM »
How the heck did that pic get there?!?! Did you load it from the PM??

By profile pic do you mean from the side? On my old engine when the cable was straight it worked fine, now that the new motor is in and it has a curl in it that's causing the problem I think. It's just simply to long and the curl messes it up. But that's the best way to mount the bracket for my setup so I think I just need to shorten it or get a custom cable made or make one.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 03:27:45 AM »
I'll get a side view pic in the day time today later. How do I do the img code thing? Maybe it will work that way.

Also, how did you get it in my post? Some kind of voodoo moderater magic??
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 03:29:34 AM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 12:33:21 AM »
What ya think Irish? I don't think it's really that part that's the issue. I think it's the big curly cue that creates extra cable instead of a short straight shot. The curly gives the gas pedal slop cuz there's too much cable.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 05:56:34 AM »
i want to say it too much at a angle but want to wait till a second opinion chimes in

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 08:44:33 AM »
Oh ok. I just thought about this too, I could cut the plastic sheath off right at the base of the small tube, so it exited right out at the bracket retainer part. That would probably fix the angle, making it a straight line, won't do anything for the loop tho.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
Where did that bracket come from?  I think you should try flipping it over (bottom side up)  The curl in the back isn't a huge issue.
When you depress the accellerator what does the cable look like?

Crummy pic but this is what the TBI looked like on mine as far as cables:

Offline fitz

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
i want to say it too much at a angle but want to wait till a second opinion chimes in

I second the to much of an angle theory.
  That's a universal bracket that you have (looks like 1 from a carb).
Unbolt the 2 sections and make a spacer to raise up the top half of it.  You will need longer bolts and I'm guessing maybe a 1" spacer.
  Its kinda tough to describe. I can dig out a spare bracket and take a picture if you want.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
The bracket is a holley bracket. I modified it to be adjustable as it was not originally. I actually did a short right up on it here.

Would just cutting the plastic sleeve off at the base of the bracket clip part be enough? I think the loop really is a problem cuz when I step on the gas that area moves, it's flexes as the cable moves. The pedal has a lot of slop and from released to full depressed there's not much travel. I know for sure it's gotta be really streched.

Also, spacer between the bracket and tbi or the the 2 bracket halves?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40:36 PM »
Did the bracket come with the kit?  I don't think shortening will help due to the angle.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
I think the loop really is a problem cuz when I step on the gas that area moves, it's flexes as the cable moves. The pedal has a lot of slop and from released to full depressed there's not much travel. I know for sure it's gotta be really streched.

Also, spacer between the bracket and tbi or the the 2 bracket halves?

the reason the pedal has some slop is because the cable dosnt look tight. if you cut the plastic to better the angle it wont help the amount of cable travel.
the reason the loop moves is because its binding up at the opening cause of the angle. give it some time that cable should cut through the plastic.

i want to say if you move the throttle cable from the top hole to the bottom hole around 10°clock this will better your angle and take some slop out of the line. but it might not be enough leverage. but whats the worse that can happen?

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 01:56:22 AM »
Bracket did not come with kit no. It came from O'Reilly's.

Irish I see what you mean about moving to the other hole but I think the stud on that linkage is not removable and was attached permit like. Could be wrong tho.

Now I'm thinking, (and this is just spit balling here), what if I took the part of the plastic that houses the loopy section and starting in the middle at the "peak" of the loop, I cut a small section out, making the loop smaller, then I just continue cutting out small sections until the loop is now a straight line, cutting carefully so that the 2 halves touch in the middle, I could then run some elcetrical tape over the joint and say a 4 inch piece of rubber hose of appropriate size and a few zip ties over the sheath to sturdy up the cut section. Wouldn't that in turn get rid of the loop, eliminating the funky angle at the back of the bracket clip area and the excess cable could be pulled tight under the dash and secured with one of those cable crimp things with the 2 holes the cable goes thru and you hammer or crush to hold tight.

Cable would be tight again tight?
LTZ Cheyenne C20