Author Topic: Diy efi drop in fuel pump upgrade for 73-87 STOCK fuel tanks. Must see.  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Gadgedizzle

• New Users
I made an elaborate post, and somehow it did not go through. So I'll make this simple. To start discussion, I'll just post a video of what I made. I basically decided to start working on a truck I originally built in 97, and to make it more of a daily driver, I ended up doing a lq9 swap. Its got a bunch of little power adders on it, in this is the one area everyone runs into problems doing swaps in these trucks.

Let me tell you, I had less than a gallon of fuel last night and was making full on wot drag pulls with 0 fuel starve! This works and will let you run the tank virtually dry with 0 fuel starve!

https://youtu.be/BQN3h2Gq9TY

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
That looks pretty cool. I have TBI on my engine, I'm interested, so the question is, how did you do it?
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline enaberif

This actually would be pretty easy to build. You take some thinwall steel tubing and some flat bar and just mount it. The aeromotive 340 looks like it has a suction pickup on the bottom which is feeding from the bottom of the tank. The hardest thing would be the depth issue but even that wouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

Then all its doing is filling up a canister which your truck feeds from and the aeromotive just keeps that canister full of fuel.

http://www.3sx.com/store/catalog/fuel-pump-sending-unit-3sx-20130917-046-600l.jpg

Offline ehjorten

Lots of these Venturi Jet-pump setups out there in modern cars.  I was going to adapt an AC Delco MU-2021 setup out of a 1999 Ford F250 into my '69 Chevelle.  It also comes with a fuel-level sensor!  I like your design, in that it fits with the stock sensor mounting, but it needs a level sensor.

The MU-2021 has a seperate surge tank unit that needs to be mounted down inside the tank and then has flexible lines to the tank outlet fitting.  This allows it to mount in a variable tank depth.  In those units the fuel tank has a metal bracket that it welded to the bottom of the tank that the plastic surge tank clips into.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6