Author Topic: Windshield seal: to lock or not to lock  (Read 486 times)

Offline Scaryfastatx

Windshield seal: to lock or not to lock
« on: January 28, 2024, 06:13:01 PM »
That is the question...

So my windshield seal is leaking at the corners.

Thinking about doing this myself, what is better, a seal without the locking strip or with the locking strip?

Looks like the previous owner removed the locking strip and that's why it's leaking but Im not sure if want to reuse the seal and just get a new locking strip, as it's gotten a bunch of junk in there and it was sitting out in the desert sun for so many years

Thanks everybody

Online Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Windshield seal: to lock or not to lock
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 11:08:38 AM »
Were is it leaking to?  Inside the truck? or?  There is a shelf at the windshield and there are weep holes, are you sure they are not clogged?
Without the lockstrip nothing is "locking" the gasket in.  You can get a new one but It would be best to understand what is causing the leak and where is it coming from.
Many of these leak from the cowl.

Offline Scaryfastatx

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 07:48:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply Captain
It's leaking at the lower corners, because it has no locking strip right now, and was sitting in the high desert sun for who knows how long, the outer edges in the lower corners have pulled away from the body and water collects between the seal lip and the glass and it starts working it's way in and starts dripping inside right above where the VIN plate is on the driver side and right at the corner on the passenger side. But I'm pretty sure it's the seal.

Once I fix that if it's still leaking I'll start checking the cowl

Online Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 08:41:53 AM »
I can say that most people have issues with installing the self locking windshield seal.  Let us know what you find out.
We sell the windshield gaskets also: http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=7&Category_Code=WTHR

Offline Chevygold

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 04:52:34 PM »
Mine was a desert truck, Arizona, and needed a new screen, had to cut the old seal out as it was so hard. Fitted it with the lockstrip seal and that was hard enough so can't imagine how you'd do it without that! still haven't fitted the lock strip as waiting for the weather to warm up a bit to help to get it in. We've had some serious rain recently and it's still dry inside.
Graham

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 05:44:22 PM »
You know how hard it is to find someone to install a windshield correctly in one of these trucks? Now think about how many millions of windshields were replaced on these trucks back in the day. Goes to show how weak society is... I digress. I use the locking strip gasket, plus it gives you the option of the chrome or black look.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 06:37:53 PM »
There is also a tool for installing the locking strip
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 08:26:08 PM »
Installing a new locking strip is a job. I installed one a few years back and the cheap one I got has deteriorated since. Have a new one and a tool just waiting for warmer weather to install. Really want the new one, but not looking forward to doing it!!!
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Scaryfastatx

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 12:47:30 PM »
I can say that most people have issues with installing the self locking windshield seal.  Let us know what you find out.
We sell the windshield gaskets also: http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=7&Category_Code=WTHR

yeah Im guessing the locking strip version is more forgiving, cool thanks for the link, will take a look

You know how hard it is to find someone to install a windshield correctly in one of these trucks? Now think about how many millions of windshields were replaced on these trucks back in the day. Goes to show how weak society is... I digress. I use the locking strip gasket, plus it gives you the option of the chrome or black look.
is it a pretty simple job?
yeah, its unbelievable how poor craftsmanship is nowadays

There is also a tool for installing the locking strip
I have been hunting for the tool that I see all teh glass guys on youtube using, seems like its different than the ones I see for sale online