Author Topic: Power steering pump removal  (Read 3813 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Power steering pump removal
« on: September 11, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »
I have a 1974 Chevy C10 stepside with power steering and air conditioning.  350 V8, 350 transmission.  Recently repaired the frame crack around the power steering box and installed a new power steering box.  The truck has been driving and steering great since then, but now the power steering pump is starting to whine.  Now when I say I repaired the crack and installed the box I actually did not perform that as I do not weld, so I had the crack fixed and and Off Road Design reinforcement kit welded in and as long as the box was removed I had them install the new box.  So now I want to change the power steering pump out.  I have the new one.  So it looks like the nuts and bolts holding in the pump are behind the power steering pump pulley.  I am thinking the best way to go about this is to remove the pulley first???  Anybody with any experience your input would be much appreciated.  Also if anybody knows of a video or some good photos??

Thanks for your help
Ricky

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Power steering pump removal
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 08:18:33 PM »
You shouldn't need to remove the pulley to access the bolts.  Post a pic.  In the meantime, are there a couple of ~1" diameter holes through the front of the pulley?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 02:48:53 AM »
Let's see a picture of what you have. There are different styles of brackets. It should be a fairly easy swap I've done it a few times but therea always a chance of running into issues
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »
I assume you have the level of fluid correct, but low level will cause it to whine.

When you say you have a new pump, does it include the reservoir?

I recently swapped out mine and the bracket on the used one was different, causing me to have to pull the pulley.

I rented one from O'Reilly's no big deal.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:58:35 AM »
This might help once you get the pump changed out;

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=33668.0

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »
I will get a picture taken today.  The pump has a reservoir.  The fluid is full.  I am suspecting it is just wore out and I would like to get it replaced before it fails.  I did not see holes in the pulley, but I will check again...  Thanks for all of your help.  Going to get photos now.  I can't start this until Wednesday due to recovering from surgery and Doctors orders, although I think he errs too much on the side of caution.  Then I have projects backed up from the last few months so this may not get going till Thursday or Friday....   Thanks again...
Ricky

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 03:02:45 PM »
I finally got the photo resized so I can post it.  I will post others if anyone thinks they can explain better with another photo.  I see 3 bolts attaching the bracket to the engine.  It looks like I need to loosen the air conditioner compressor belt, and the power steering belt, and remove them from the power steering pump, then remove the hoses and remove the 3 bolts from the engine.  Is it easier to get the pump laying loose in front of the engine to get access to the hoses?  It looks like it is to me.  Again,  Thanks for any help...
Ricky

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »
Yes, you're on the right track.

You will need to remove the pulley to get the bracket off your old one.

Best to remove the hoses first while the pump is stationary. Fluid catch...

Finally, you really don't need the pump belt. The A/C will turn it fine. I've had mine off for 4 years.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 06:17:20 PM »
Yes, you're on the right track.

You will need to remove the pulley to get the bracket off your old one.

Best to remove the hoses first while the pump is stationary. Fluid catch...

Finally, you really don't need the pump belt. The A/C will turn it fine. I've had mine off for 4 years.

Remove and install the pulley using a dedicated puller/installer tool designed for P/S pumps, after the pump is on the bench.  Otherwise, I agree with e/g ^^^^ EXCEPT eliminating the pump belt.  The A/C belt is not intended to drive the P/S pump.  Rather, the P/S pump pulley functions as an idler and vibration dampener for the A/C belt to decrease standing wave harmonics and audible groan. 

JP, IMHO, although driving the P/S pump using just the A/C belt may haved worked for you, it is anomalous that it did. 

Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 06:23:45 PM »
There you go again bd, using ten gallon words!

I expected someone to bust my chops... ;D

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 07:13:34 PM »
But, you ask for it so sweetly.  So I keep a book of fancy words handy just for your amusement!   ;D
Rich

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 02:23:14 AM »
Thanks guys.  On the agenda for tomorrow.  I had to catch up on things and it is going slower than I wanted... as usual...
Ricky

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 10:41:24 PM »
What an adventure!  So getting the pump out was a snap.  Loosen the belts, two bolts, remove the belts, remove the hoses, lift out the pump.  Then came the pulley.  Now I had never pulled the pulley off of one of these before, and when I went to O'reillys to get the power steering pulley removal tool I ended up with a wheel puller.  I kind of rounded out the hex hole in the shaft but quit before I did any damage.  Used my dremel tool to get the rounded part of the hole out of the way so the 3/8 allen bolt would fit in it.  Now I kept looking at the new power steering pump and trying to figure out how the hex hole got in there.  It was not on the new pump.  Finally I came in to see if I could find a new pulley.  In the process I ran onto a video of removing the pulley.  The video showed the hex hole and all.  I checked my new pump at the parts houses internet sites and no hole in the shaft..   Then I saw a picture of my old pump and it was labeled 1979.  So I need a pulley for a 1973-74 or a pump from the 75 to 79 vintage.  Probably the pump went bad and someone got one out of a used parts yard.  Anyway, now the good part.  One of you guys stated the pump would have those noise symptoms and be hard to steer if it was low on fluid.  I had filled the fluid literally two days before the pump started making so much noise so I KNEW the fluid was full, and if not I had a bad leak.  I had just had the steering box reinforcement welding done and a new gear box installed.  The truck ran great for about 6 weeks, but I don't drive it every day.  Anyway, when I went to empty the fluid from the pump after removing it I noticed it was low on fluid.  None got spilled so that was odd.  I got to thinking that maybe the installer of the gearbox had not bled the air from the system.   So as I drove it was gradually bleeding the air and I was getting low on fluid.  I filled it, and it hit a big air pocket and I KNEW it was full so obviously the pump was wore out...  Anyway, with the pump years mismatch fiasco and needing to order parts I thought it was worth a try to reinstall the old pump.  I was replacing all of the belts at this time since I was loosening them anyway.   So new belts and the old pump, then filled it and did the 20 time post to post like the manual calls out.  Kept refilling every few travels.  Pump is smooth as silk.  Quiet and no jumpiness.  Sometimes what you KNOW can get you in trouble.....   Sometimes I look in the mirror and I see my donkeys....   
Ricky

Offline DanMcG

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 03:19:12 AM »
Glad it all worked out for ya!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
I'm not surprised the pump is fine, Never had one wear out, just leak...

Nice detective work!