Author Topic: newb needs direction  (Read 8771 times)

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: newb needs direction
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »
Pic #1 is the Tip-in Vacuum Switch for ESC.  Pic #2 is the EGR Bleed Solenoid.  The TCC Vacuum Switch should be mounted closer to the brake vacuum booster.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 01:54:46 PM »
thanks, that makes sense
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:37:47 PM by DnSherrill »
1986 C10 5L LWB

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »
alright, I see the TCC switch now, it looks like the TIP IN vac sw, but on firewall just above the break booster. I'm still not sure what the large hose pictured above goes to after it passes the firewall down low.  The open end most likely went to the charcoal can in the port closest to the radiator (it snapped off from there during recent removal of ac compressor etc.
At this point here's what I'm thinking for my vac line delete/re-route plan
thanks for suggestions and feedback.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:46:03 AM by DnSherrill »
1986 C10 5L LWB

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 06:35:46 AM »
I got everything put back together and no start... Looks like no spark. Maybe my ESC took a dump?
If I bypass it, this is what I should do? Splice green to black, leave the 4 wire plastic connector pulled apart?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1986 C10 5L LWB

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 09:41:21 PM »
finally got it all put back together, had to adjust the new choke I installed.
Now, the choke light in the speedo gauge stays on, unless I take power away from the choke. I replaced both the oil switch and oil sending unit during this project. Oil pressure gauge reads over 30
1986 C10 5L LWB

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »
Hi Dn:
Concerning the choke light, first thing to check is if it is wired up correctly: you should have a light blue wire going from the choke heater to the oil pressure switch. From this same oil pressure switch connection, you should have a dark blue wire going to the firewall connector. Then, the other terminal on your oil pressure switch should have a pink wire going to the firewall connector. If all this is correct and you have a light that stays on all the time, then there is something not working right with the choke itself as all its current is going through the light instead of the the choke element when the switch allows current to flow to the choke. Maybe the choke element is not grounding properly. Let us know if you are wired up correctly and if you still have the problem. Also, the function of this circuit is more sophisticated than the electrical shematic leads one to believe.
Regards,
Henry

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »
thanks for the input. here is the choke I installed. I  have a gray connector, but it doesn't fit this choke. For now I just clipped the light blue wire on the metal tongue. How is this supposed to be grounded? I don't know if I'll find the correct plastic connector for this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:59:52 PM by DnSherrill »
1986 C10 5L LWB

Offline DnSherrill

choke light on
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 08:20:56 AM »
here's the wiring currently, appears as you described. later I can check for 12v at the lt blue wire at the choke, i can also check resistances to rule out damaged wiring. not sure what else.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:24:25 AM by DnSherrill »
1986 C10 5L LWB

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
Switch the ignition on.  Disconnect the three-wire harness connector from the OPS adjacent to the distributor and disconnect the light blue wire from the choke thermostat.  Does the choke light extinguish?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 10:00:44 AM »
the dash light goes off when I pull the lt blue wire from the choke tstat. I can check the OPS later. My dash oil pressure gauge reads 30-40
1986 C10 5L LWB

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
Switch the ignition on.  With the lt blu wire connected to the choke t-stat, disconnect the three-wire harness connector from the OPS adjacent to the distributor and jumper the two connector terminals together.  Does the choke light extinguish?
Rich

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »
Standard Motor Products S-582 for the t-stat pigtail.
Rich

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
Hi Dn:
Electric choke grounding: That riveted plastic choke assembly that mounts to the carb grounds through the carb body either through the rivets or the tang that protrudes into the carb. Sometimes the carb rebuild kits come with a gasket for the other types of chokes and this gasket fits perfectly between the electric choke assy and the carb body...you just need to make sure this gasket is left out. You also need to make sure the tang is properly engaging in the carb when you assemble it. As long as the plastic choke assy has not been opened (rivets removed), these actions should insure you have a good grounding. Did the choke assy come with the carb?...or did you buy it later  and add it to the carb?

Regards,
Henry

Offline DnSherrill

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 03:17:39 PM »
this is new choke tstat coil on an M4MED qjet that had a elec choke on it, I damaged the orig choke coil (pulled rivets out) when I was trying to remove the gray plastic pigtail connector.  The tang is engaged, I initially had it wound up to tight and had to take some tension off so the choke valve is slightly open on a cold engine. it starts and idles good now, runs rich....some black smoke at idle, more with accel.  207k miles on the 305, never rebuilt.
1986 C10 5L LWB

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »
Hi Dn:
So from what you said it appears you have the correct choke heater assy for  your M4ME carb. Are you installing/adjusting it per the procedure in either the factory manual or Haynes manual? Do you still have the light that stays on?
Regards,
Henry