Author Topic: Coolant airlock?  (Read 5635 times)

Offline Omegadog

Re: Coolant airlock?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
Merry Christmas all!
It just dawned on me that my temp sensor is installed on my goose neck. Is this the correct placement for the sensor?  I just started thinking that this may not be the best placement for the sensor because it's above the t-stat on the radiator side. I do have another sensor on the driver side head. I thought this was for a engine block temp idiot light. I did a search here on this site and think that this might be my whole problem. I'm going out to jump the green wire to this sensor as it's too short to reach the sensor. My '84 body has an '83 305 engine of unknown origin and looking at pics of other guy's engines online, I thought I had this right. I'll report back later...wish me luck!

EDIT: I really think that I'm ok now. When I connected the green temp wire to the sensor on the block it now reads much lower temps. In fact, the needle goes to the halfway mark between 100 degrees and 210 degrees which actually seems a bit low. Would that mark be 155 degrees or is it higher at the mark? The temp on the sensor housing reads 185 degrees. The heads are 165 degrees and the intake manifold is 145 degrees. You guys think that I'm safe to ride it 18 miles into town now? Thanks again and Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:09:17 PM by Omegadog »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 03:08:09 PM »
so the sensor on the intake should go to something like a ecm but you should have one. someone might have installed one for a gauge set but anyway it was reading the wrong ohms for your gauge. the normal spot for a gauge sending unit is on the side of the head
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Omegadog

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »
so the sensor on the intake should go to something like a ecm but you should have one. someone might have installed one for a gauge set but anyway it was reading the wrong ohms for your gauge. the normal spot for a gauge sending unit is on the side of the head

Again, I'm not much of troubleshooting mechanic. I'm trying but it will be a long journey. Don't know what a ECM is but guessing it's a electronic control module for something or other. I'll look it up to see if it applies to my carburetor '84. I've downloaded and printed several schematics and I have a LOT of wiring issues to sort out. Right now, my battery is draining and there is a grounding issues that I will have to pull fuses to isolate. I'll eventually get there and after all...it's about the journey isn't it? Thanks again for the input guys! 

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 04:25:32 PM »
engine control management. theyre on tbi engines

EDIT: Yeah what bd said. for some reason i was thinking Module but i totally missed it
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:43:22 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
ECM = Engine Control Module

See:  Common Automotive Acronyms

General Background Information - ECMs are used on feedback emission systems that employ an oxygen (O2) sensor in the exhaust to monitor and adjust air/fuel mixture via an underdash microprocessor.  In its rudimentary form, the ECM monitors various engine parameters to adjust fuel delivery and ignition timing, compensating for engine temperature, load and throttle position.  They appeared in the 1980s on certain light duty trucks, first on carbureted engines and then on throttle body injected (TBI) engines.  As the technology progressed, ECMs inherited greater responsibilities in the number of monitors, A/C control, etc.  Eventually, the ECM was supplanted by the PCM, which assumed control of transmission shifting in addition to engine controls.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Omegadog

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 07:08:18 PM »
Thank you gentleman. I'll reply when I get to the bottom of several issues but for now, i believe my overheating "thang" is ok for now. I'm running it into town in the am for tires and gas. I'll report back if there's anything to report.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:13:51 PM by Omegadog »

Offline hatzie

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
The temp gauge sensor is supposed to be in the middle of the LH cylinder head between the #3 & #5 spark plugs.  There's another sensor bung in the RH cylinder head between #4 & #6 spark plugs.
I don't believe the engine is overheating.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 07:30:42 PM by hatzie »
SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC

Offline Omegadog

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 03:05:53 PM »
Finally took the beast for it's maiden voyage after a year of throwing money and time at it when I could. Ran like a top with no overheating issues. This 305 REALLY scoots. Time to sort out wiring issues now and replace the bearings on the steering column etc. Thanks for the input guys and you haven't seen the last of me. Best New Year wishes!

Offline Timberwolf

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »
Something to consider, some 305 castings were prone to cracking. That will give you an overheat problem, depending on the size of the crack.