Author Topic: Tools for doing a lift  (Read 2069 times)

Offline jumpkickyergunt

Tools for doing a lift
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »
Nvm... :P

Probably a silly question and an obvious lack of suspension knowledge, but I'm trying to get this all together before my leaf springs come in and I want to make sure I have all the components. I have a 2.5" lift kit coming from skyjacker and I do have some mechanical knowledge, just never done this job before. I have a torque wrench, jack stands, and a jack but it's a bottle jack that isn't all that tall when fully extended. I probably need something to keep the truck from rolling away so that's a given. Do I need a different jack to get the springs in? Once I put the rear or front end on stands where do I place the jack to get the old springs out and the new ones in?[/font]I'd do some reading on it but I'm having a hard time finding something that represents my application. Sorry for the stupid questions. It's just that I refuse to pay $700 for the install. That was the quote I was given and I find that to be completely ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:18:52 PM by Captkaos »

Offline jumpkickyergunt

Re: Tools for doing a lift
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »
Nvm... :P If I had made sense of the directions I wouldn't need to ask stupid questions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:00:21 PM by jumpkickyergunt »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Tools for doing a lift
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
You  need jackstands tall enough to hold the frame up with the wheels off and a jack tall enough to get it there.
Once you get the front on stands remove the wheels and then unbolt the axle and then the springs.
You are going to need a good pull bar or a good impact to get the nuts off.