Author Topic: LIFT KIT  (Read 4265 times)

QUICKSILVER79

LIFT KIT
« on: November 24, 2002, 10:32:00 PM »
Anybody put a body lift on one of these trucks? I want 3 inches so I can fit bigger tires but I dont want to be able to see too much of the frame rails. I just dont think that looks very good. It doesnt seem like you would be able to see the frame like you can on the new ones but I dont know. Mabey some nurf bars could kinda cover them up. Also how hard are these kits to install, any special tools ect.? Thanks in advance.

Offline 79GMC4x4

• Registered Users
Re: LIFT KIT
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 05:33:00 PM »
Nerf bars won't cover up the gap, since they are at the level of the frame, not to mention you won't find nerf bars for the pickups due to the side tanks.

Lift Lips is a company who makes cover ups for the unsightly gaps.

I personally do not like body lifts, but if you do, here goes:
It is not that difficult to do.  You will need a helper, to help lift the body one side at a time.  An impact wrench will speed things up.  No special tools are needed.  Just sockets.

One exception.  With an automatic transmission, you need to lengthen the shifter linkage the same length as the amount of body lift.  Either weld in the extension or figure out a way to use threads.  Welding is simplest.

'79 GMC shortbed 454 th400 14 bolt FF NP205 Dana 60

silvereagle

body lift
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 08:21:00 AM »
i have a 2 inch in my 79 and you can see the frame on that real good so you wont be able to hide it with a 3 inch as far as thenerf bars you can find them for the truck i found some its been 3 years ago and i dont rember who i got them from but there just for 73 to 87 trucks you just got to look  

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Re: body lift
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 08:06:00 PM »
I'm sure I've seen nerfs.  They just wrap all the way around the tanks.  May actually make them safer, huh?

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | Kevin108@PavementSucks.com
Maker of 43 point turns!

Offline Eric 85K10

Lift?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 02:26:00 AM »
How big of tires do you want?
a 2 or a 4 inch suspension lift is not that much work to install and not that expensive
I put a 4inch rough country and had it on in a day. If you don't want your truck to ride like a 1ton, get a softride lift, rancho and tuff country make them.

As for body lifts, I dont like them unless you already have 6inch plus of lift and need more for huge tires. They make the bumpers sit lower, and the worst thing I think is our chevys have saddle tanks and body lifts expose those!

quicksilver79

lift
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 08:30:00 PM »
It's a 2wd so I don't really need the suspension lift. Just trying to make room for maybe 33'' tires or so. The extra ground clearance would help alot!

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Re: lift
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 03:22:00 AM »
I say save you money and sell your truck to buy a 4x4, you'll be happier in the end.

87 Silverado 4x4 Longbed Pickup
My Mods | Truck Pics | Kevin108@PavementSucks.com
Maker of 43 point turns!