Author Topic: What's causing this?!?!  (Read 9101 times)

Offline blazer74

Re: What's causing this?!?!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2016, 06:16:55 PM »
Lift springs or a shackle flip is good for about 4 inches of lift with stock springs.
Get rid of the blocks.

I use 4 inch tough country lift springs with a 1 inch zero rate for approx 5 inches.

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:41 PM »
I built my own lift blocks out of 1/4 inch steel plate, they are only 1 inch blocks tho, I was just getting a little extra height out of the rear. Plus the springs and bolts were all brand new.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline blazer74

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:56 AM »
I built my own lift blocks out of 1/4 inch steel plate, they are only 1 inch blocks tho, I was just getting a little extra height out of the rear. Plus the springs and bolts were all brand new.

Yes, same purpose as the zero rates, I used them for leveling purposes. 

Zero rates bolt into the spring pack. 

They can also move your springs fwd or aft if you choose.

You can get them machined to an angle also if you need to adjust pinion angle.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »
That's sketchy!
I agree lift springs, with shorty blocks if need be.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 06:41:50 PM »
That's sketchy!

was behind a Ford today, he was lifted probably 8", and obviously had a 4" block, as one came out, I hit it-it went flying into the woods., but it was probably the worst thing I have seen as when the bed came down it punctured the tire, which caused it pop; making for an even worse situation. he was lucky the u bolts at least held or that could have been the last of that truck.

I absolutely will not put anything over 1-1.5 inches as a block-as it is too much leverage for U-bolts-a zero-rate is the best as it is tied directly to the spring pack.
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 10:13:45 PM »
That's sketchy!

was behind a Ford today, he was lifted probably 8", and obviously had a 4" block, as one came out, I hit it-it went flying into the woods., but it was probably the worst thing I have seen as when the bed came down it punctured the tire, which caused it pop; making for an even worse situation. he was lucky the u bolts at least held or that could have been the last of that truck.

I absolutely will not put anything over 1-1.5 inches as a block-as it is too much leverage for U-bolts-a zero-rate is the best as it is tied directly to the spring pack.
Oh freaky! You both got real lucky.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline chevyk1069

• New Users
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 09:14:08 PM »
Having a taller block on the rear is fine as long as the block is solid. The pictures you posted will require new center bolts through the leaf springs to start. Next you will possibly need new blocks. Some you could replace the head on the bottom of the blocks. You can also (to save money) grind the old head off the bottom that sets in the axle flat and drill it for a 3/8 center bolt. Contrary to popular belief all the center bolt is for is holding the spring together and keep it lined up until you get the u-bolts tight. When you replace a spring or work on one, especially modifying one, always replace the u-bolts with the proper size and make sure they are grade 8 if it's modified. Grade 5 is okay for stock. Chevy u-bolts are 5/8. Most people don't know a u-bolt stretches when you tighten it. Once stretched it will never be the same. Just a few tips from an old spring man.