Author Topic: Converting to Ethanol  (Read 3127 times)

Offline rayjavu

• New Users
Converting to Ethanol
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »
I've recently received my ethanol producers license from the BATF and am hoping to convert my '84 c20 pickup. It's had its engine replaced sometime in the past & now has a 305 w/ a Rochester 2bbl. I'd like to be able to run 85% ethanol or maybe even 100%. What all do I need I need to change out? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline DnStClr

Re: Converting to Ethanol
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
Well, you prob'ly know that ethanol is a cleaner, so using E85, your fuel filter will have to be replaced soon after you start using ethanol. I've read that a 2micron filter is required. Then, the water molecules in the fuel are going to bond with the alcohol and pass thru the filter into the combustion chamber, so that will not produce the octane needed to produce the same amount of power without increasing your compression.
But, it's definitely a cleaner burning fuel, so we should all probably be doing it.
Other than upgrading the fuel filter and adding a water separator, you might have to be concerned that the 85% ethanol/ 15% gasoline mix might be detrimental to any rubber parts-
have you been to this site?...
www.drivingethanol.org/aspx/why_ethanol/performance.aspx

Don
87 Chevy Silverado