Author Topic: drivehsfat length and interchange ?  (Read 36114 times)

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
drivehsfat length and interchange ?
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »
I was wondering what driveshafts from a 2wd short bed would work behind a th350 short tail. From what I've seen the 3 on the tree is the right length but would the yoke fit? I ask because dad has an 84 with a long tail th350 and I think it might be easier to find a th350 short tail and longer driveshaft. If anyone here has a short tail in their 2wd swb, if you could tell what the length of your ds, or maybe if somebody has a saginaw 3 on the tree setup or in the floor, maybe get those ds measurements?

I was thinking maybe all of the stick shift driveshafts are the same and would fit the th350 output on the yoke end, or wondering if the 4 speed were the same length.

Basically if any of them would be the right length from a stock setup so I know what to look for online in classifieds and for sale ads.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: drivehsfat length and interchange ?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:25:40 PM »
Each trans is a diffrent length so the shaft would have to be from that style if I can remember right been 7 years but the long tail is 72" and the short is 68" but that was on a lwb and do you have a slip shaft or slip yoke that's eather way the yoke part of the shaft can be swapped out by buying a u joint that will let the two halfs mate
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:47:42 PM »
ok I'm completely lost by that a long tail trans would use a shorter driveshaft, and the short tail would have a longer one. Mines a swb and from what I seen the 3 speed trucks have the right length for a th350 short tail and the yoke is the same.

Offline Layne

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
I had a three speed manual with the two piece shaft. My parts truck had a th350 with a one shaft. The 350 shaft was perfect for my 700r4 in my longbed.
To answer your question about the short /  long shaft: If the trans has a short shaft, then the d-shaft will be longer as the transmission is shorter. Vice versa for the long tail trannys
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
yes I know that it's what I said in my last reply

short tail trans= longer ds

long tail = shorter ds.

as for 2 pc. was it a short bed? The 76 short bed we had, had a 1 piece ds that would have been perfect for a short tail th350.

the 84 dad has now has a long tail from an older truck or car and has a shorter ds that in terms would not work with a short tail th350. I think I may be able to find a short tail 350 easier then a long tail, but then again I'd have to track down a longer ds which seems to be hard since the only one that'd work is from a 3 speed stick shift 2wd short bed I guess.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 05:26:59 PM »
Swims, you said

ok I'm completely lost by that a long tail trans would use a shorter driveshaft, and the short tail would have a longer one.

That would indicate to us that you don't understand this concept and then you are saying you already know this.  ???

Now are you trying to find out the correct driveshaft length for your truck or the correct transmission to fit your driveshaft?  ???
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
I meant it to say I was completely lost by that. or comma, because I know the short trans needs a longer driveshaft and long trans needs a shorter one, that's just common sense.

Because he said long tail is 72, and short is 68, which is backwards long tail should be shorter ds not longer then the short tails ds. That and his whole comment is what I'm lost on.

I know what driveshaft I have and what trans. I have it's a th350 long tail and has a shorter driveshaft. The question I was asking is what driveshaft would be the right length or I could use IF I put a short tail th350 in the truck. From my research it appears ONLY one from a truck somebody has a short tail th350 in, or a car 4 speed, the ONLY stock form drivetrain that'd be right is one from a 73-87 short bed 2wd that has a 3 speed stick shift. I do not know what length that is so i wondered if someone had a 2wd short bed with a short tail, car 4 speed, or 3 speed stick shift what length their driveshaft was or what they got it from, or if they had it made. I asked the first question(first post) then found alot of info thru google by searching since I had plenty of free time.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:47 PM »
i guess i gotta quit typing when I'm tired lol cause yes i was backward what i said but we did take a 68" two piece and dropped the bearring down 4" and that made up for the short tail. usually when someone list drive shafts they do say what size just encase someone needs that length for a diffrent setup and as long at the shaft is the right size you can use your old yoke on the new shaft so spline count wont matter

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Layne

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:09:09 PM »
Lol glad we got it sorted out. Both of my trucks were long beds.
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
I got a local hookup now, guys got a th350 long tail and a short tail lockup and has longer ds needed for the short tail trans. wants $250 for either ds extra, dad said sounds good but he's gonna wait til he gets back from vacation to make up his mind on what to do.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »
Is this for a used driveshaft? $250?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
If so you need to look on http://www.car-part.com/
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
no, no, nononononononono it's $250 for a transmission.

which is why I said he had both transmissions, long and short and on the short at the end of me saying short tail it says DS extra, meaning the driveshaft costs extra, which would indicate $250 being for the transmission and either one meaning long tail or short would be same price for either.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:54:06 PM by Swims350 »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »
so whats there to think about

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
nothing now, that's why I said I posted this, then had alot of free time and searched to find out info and got pretty much all I needed, and now local guys are starting to come out of the woodwork with th350's. Found one last night in the next county, pulled it from an 80's pickup wants $125 for it, said it was fine when pulled last year, half the price of the other. Now just gotta wait on my old man, he said he aint gonna buy anything til he comes back from vacation, which he aint even left for yet lol.