Author Topic: How far to back off the bearing retaining nut on rear axle?  (Read 26533 times)

Offline diphthong

How far to back off the bearing retaining nut on rear axle?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 10:58:42 PM »
Oops... There are no wedge keepers, on this system.  The axle flange keeps the square keeper from coming out. So it would be almost impossible for the nut to come loose without the axle coming loose.  So I always use blue loc-tight on the bolts going through the axle flange on this type axle.

Your instincts were good here, you were on the right path.  even with my wrong info, I was giving you help on a different type brake system.   Remember on is brake system, your using your ears and pulling on the drum to to set the pre-load.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: How far to back off the bearing retaining nut on rear axle?
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »
Just so everyone is clear:
This forum is to exchange ideas, and help each other out. Any belittling, or rude behavior will result in your expulsion from this board!
I don't give a who ha what you have done, were you worked, or what youve seen, or how long youve done it!!!
Your opinion is welcome here as long as its stated in a respectfull way. Any disrespect to others will not be tolorated, period!
If there is a problem with what I have stated here feel free to take it up with me.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline diphthong

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 12:07:41 AM »
Mile:
Sorry about missing this before my last two posts.  Bearings should never, never, be installed dry!  put some rear end oil on those bearings!  This needs to be done before you install the drum or set the pre-load.  You don't need to remove that inner seal, just poor some oil into both bearings and rotate them around the races a little.  Then make sure the rear end is filled with the correct oil, park sideways on a hill, let those hubs fill with oil.  Then recheck the rear end level.  Other then that, spanking nice brake job! Even the parking brake strut spring is correct.

One last thing, You sure those drums weren't cut too much?      If they aren't, your certainly not going to get another cut :-)

I once had a shop owner tell me "it's not impossible to have just one plug wire crossed"   :-)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 12:17:22 AM »
This forum is to exchange ideas, and help each other out. Any belittling, or rude behavior will result in your expulsion from this board!
I don't give a who ha what you have done, were you worked, or what youve seen, or how long youve done it!!!
Your opinion is welcome here as long as its stated in a respectfull way. Any disrespect to others will not be tolorated, period!
If there is a problem with what I have stated here feel free to take it up with me.
wheres the like button ;)
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »
Quote from: diphthong
Mike:
Sorry about missing this before my last two posts.  Bearings should never, never, be installed dry!  put some rear end oil on those bearings!

They were not installed dry.  They were only dry when I took the picture.  :)

Then make sure the rear end is filled with the correct oil, park sideways on a hill,
Yep, that's next after the axles are installed.  Actually have to re-assemble the front brakes and axles and then rebuild the master cylinder and power brake booster, bleed the system out and then put truck sideways for each side and top with gear oil.

One last thing, You sure those drums weren't cut too much?      If they aren't, your certainly not going to get another cut :-)

I have all my work done at my local NAPA machine shop, I trust the know their job and what's in spec and what's out of spec and they never brought up any issue. 

Thanks for all the info...

:)

Offline diphthong

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
Mike posted a picture of the left rear brake job he did.  This picture would be a very good reference for anyone that needed help reinstalling the brake components in there correct place.

I once had a shop owner tell me "it's possible to have just one plug wire crossed"   :-)

Offline diphthong

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »
Yesterday, exception was taken to statements I made to 78 Chevyrado.  This was in reference to a post I made on this thread concerning a pre-load matter regarding a floating axle.  As it turns out,  I was in error.  I was advising someone on the correct way to set pre-load, which unfortunately, I had the wrong axle type in mind.  Which caused me to infer 78 Chevyrado was giving out incorrect information, on an important matter.  And, in my post I used the word “oxymoron,” which I believe caused 78 Chevyrado to think I was calling him a “retard.” Something, I would never say, nor suggest. There is also another possibility here, my words “If you understood…” were taken by him, to be rhetorical.   This was meat to a remindful statement, not a rhetorical question.

I became aware of this after Blazin posted directly below a post of mine.  At the end of Blazin’s post he invited anyone to take-up problems they may have with anything in his post.

Ok.  My comments now aren’t stemming from a problem I have with what you said, your post has merit.  But I do have an issue with what you didn’t say.  In 78 Chevyrado response to my remarks, he either, rhetorically or ostensibly suggested I could “be a 12 year old girl…”   these comments to my knowledge have generated no pubic response, as my comments did. 

In 78 Chevyrado’s closing remarks from his post, he said, this matter was behind him.  And I believe him. So, 78 Chevyrado: Yesterday I was quick with a wrong assumption, and was a little sarcastic with the “physic” jab.  For that, I am sorry! 

This matter is now also behind me.  Save for Blazin, I won’t be responding to any comments made to this post.

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »
My post was directed at any, and all negitive, or derogitory comments, I don't care who said what, why or for any reason!

The fact that you had the incorrect axle in mind had nothing to do with why I posted a response. That is an honest mistake we can all, and probably have all made more than once in our lives.

One of the reasons this is the best forum on our trucks is because even the hobbiests / weekend warriors, and racers, here are very knowledgeable. We also have a large number of profesional techs in our little family.
We are all adults here, we all know the rules of the forum. We are laid back, easy going, thats how we all like it. Chris devotes alot of his time to this board. Thats is why he has chosen several of us to keep things in check. I didn't single anyone out. If anyone feels I did feel free to state your case. Any further discusion of who said what, etc. will result in this topic being locked.

Now back to the topic.
Mike, that looks text book to me, all of the info given here is spot on. Its up to you to read it, take it all in, and then do what you feel is best. Looks to me like you have it well in hand, but were just looking for a few second opinions for your own piece of mind.
There is always more than one way to get the same results in the end. 
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »
Mike posted a picture of the left rear brake job he did.  This picture would be a very good reference for anyone that needed help reinstalling the brake components in there correct place.

Here's what's funny... I took before pictures but there was so much mud they didn't help much, so I used a picture another forum member posted as a guide.  Here's the before and after...

GM Corporate 14 Bolt Rearend Passenger Side

Before

After

I'm just glad on on the path towards putting it together!

:)

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »
Quote from: Blazin

Now back to the topic.
Mike, that looks text book to me, all of the info given here is spot on. Its up to you to read it, take it all in, and then do what you feel is best. Looks to me like you have it well in hand, but were just looking for a few second opinions for your own piece of mind.
There is always more than one way to get the same results in the end.

Checked and noted.

I won't have time to work on my truck till this Saturday but now I know exactly what to do thanks to everyone's help... so...

Thank you everyone!

That's what I like about this forum, always helpful and family friendly...

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 04:57:04 PM »
wheres the like button ;)

Well it is at the top of the post on the left... LOL
And you can use the publish button of the post and publish it to your facebook page and like it there also...

With that said, there is also a "report to moderator button" that gets emailed to me directly.  Please don't hesitate to use it.