Author Topic: '82 GMC ... Yard truck no more!  (Read 23884 times)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Re: '82 GMC ... Yard truck no more!
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
Wow, I’ll say....Yard truck no more!  Very nice progress.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2022, 07:56:01 PM »
Wow! I guess its been a while since I updated this.  Life just gets in the way I guess.

Been making some slow progress.  Built a cart to move the cab around with - scavenged some used bed frames and other stuff I had around.  A couple pieces I bought at the steel yard from their cutoff pile.  Put some legs on the back so I can tip it on its back without smashing the corners.
- Joel
1982 GMC K10 (work in progress)
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1974 Landcruiser (Chevy powered)

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2022, 08:55:54 PM »
Took it all apart again and put the cab on the cart.

I spent a few days stripping out the Blazer parts truck interior.  I plan on using just about all of the dash and wanted to save it all from rodents and weather.  I like to think of it of more of a methodical dissection, labeling everything and hoping that I remember how it all goes back in when the time comes.

The Blazer is an A/C truck and I couldn't help but realize that the holes in the firewall for the HVAC stuff were totally different.  After weighing my options I decided to cut out a section of firewall from the Blazer weld it into the truck cab.  I admit that it was a bit painful chopping out a section of firewall from my nice cab.  Filled in a bunch of other holes I didn't need on the front as well.

Here are some pics of the difference between the firewalls and the transplant.
- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2022, 09:06:26 PM »
Helped my friend Mike do the wiring on this pulling truck.  Root for the "Hay Shaker" around New York at your local fairs!
- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2022, 09:32:01 PM »
Flipped the cab on its back and scraped off what was left of the undercoating and hit the whole thing with a wire wheel to clean it up.  It was a real treat.
- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2022, 09:54:17 PM »
If anyone has any suggestions for what I can undercoat the cab with that would be great.  I see that you can get a decent bed liner kit online for around $150.

I have called around to some shops to get the paint done and I have been quoted some really high prices.  I guess I was not sure what to expect these days - I figured I could get a cab and front end painted without blowing the budget.  At this point I am considering painting it myself.  Never done that before, so any advice would be appreciated.
- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2022, 05:21:06 PM »
I used this:

Nice work BTW!!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2022, 08:10:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions on the undercoating - I ended up going with the Raptor Liner stuff.  Did the cab bottom as well as the undersides of some new inner fenders.  Pretty happy with it - super easy to apply with the gun that was included with the kit.  At one point I tried to put a piece of flexible hose on the end of the gun to get some hard to reach spaces.  It didnt work.  I guess it needs to have a consistent diameter end on it or else it just pukes out.  The stuff is also pretty hard to wash off your skin.
- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2022, 08:39:01 PM »
I used Raptor on a '69 VW truck I restored, worked well.

I chose the rattle can stuff because its easy when working with small parts.

Project is looking very good! Nice welding on the firewall.

Pls work on the weld divots, they look so nice when smoothed out.

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2022, 08:54:28 PM »
Still looking for someone willing to paint this project and been having a tough time of it.  Most of the auto body shops just want to do insurance work, the resto shops want crazy money, and everyone in between is pretty leery.  I would paint it myself but I would be doing it blind, as I have never painted a vehicle and don't own the facility or equipment.  Hoping someone out there could give me and idea what kind of $$ I am looking at do get a paint job like the attached picture in this post-covid / everything-expensive time we are are living in.  This would be with the cab underside done and no bed (I plan on making a flatbed).  Not looking for something show quality - its gonna get used, but I want it to be nice.  Any advice would be appreciated.
- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2022, 09:20:50 PM »
Body work and paint is, when there's not a lot of serious damage to repair, pretty straight forward.

In essence, you are filling in small dents and divots, smoothing out rough edges caused by wear and tear.

Laying down primer to fill in the rest, wet sanding to a smooth finish and then shooting paint.

Youtube has many examples, if you are inclined. Don't expect perfection at first, and then don't do so when you are 'good'.

In your case, it might be more cost effective to get your cab, doors, hood, fenders, CLOSE by DIY, then have a body shop shoot them individually.

If you get a shop to agree, ask them to evaluate the piece when you bring it in. There may be some correction they suggest that can be done prior to shooting that won't cost you an arm and a leg, but make a big difference.

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2022, 09:27:29 PM »
I was planning on the firewall (as well as many other imperfections) getting smoothed out during the paint process.  Those divots you speak of are from the factory so I didn't create them.  Since the 89 Blazer is my parts truck, I have made the new cab match the firewall of the blazer.  I welded up all the holes that weren't on the Blazer firewall and added the ones that weren't.

The Blazer parts truck is totally stripped of everything useful and I am ready to do away with the carcass.  The frame is good, so my plan is to cut the rest of the body off it and scrap it.  Not sure there is any market for a wasted blazer tub but maybe someone might want the roof or dash?   The firewall is butchered, the floor is rotted, and the bedsides/wheel wells don't look worth saving.  I have the cap listed on Craigslist in NH.  Let me know your thoughts.

At this point I have so many leftover parts (I have a whole driveline) my plan was to put the unused cab on the Blazer frame and make a "Trazer".  In fact I am am excited about this idea as I would not be restoring anything - just throwing it all together to make a buggy.  Cant afford to buy a side by side but I can make one!

- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2022, 10:00:58 PM »
Johnny,  I feel like this thing is pretty close to DIY but I have always planned on sending it out for paint.  I just didn't realize that it would be so difficult to find someone willing to do it without blowing the budget.  Right now I am working on getting a guy who has a space that does it in his spare time.  If this deal works out the whole thing will be gone probably until spring.  I'm good with that though, that will give me time to upgrade my workshop bay and get the "Trazer" thrown together.

Making it difficult is that I want to get the cab / doors / hood media blasted so it goes to the painter in bare metal.  I have the blaster all set up, just need to coordinate it time-wise so everything gets to the painter the next day so there is no "flash" rusting.  If all goes well, this should all happen in the next month - ill keep the forum posted.
- Joel
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2022, 09:06:20 AM »
If you have the time and space, I'd paint it myself.  You'll probably do a better job than the "leery" guys you speak of.  I've only painted a few, and the paint part of it was pretty easy, it's the body work that's hard....you HAVE to be a perfectionist.
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed