Author Topic: Building the dream  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Chvyntl

Building the dream
« on: January 02, 2021, 01:58:30 PM »
Hello. I am absolutely green to forums. I will apologize in advance for the many mistakes that I am sure I will make. I welcome ANY guidance.

Briefly, I’m a 67 year old male veteran that lives near the SF Bay Area. I am embarking on a childhood build. That is to say that since I was 17 years old I’ve always wanted a hot rod with a blown big block Chevy in it. Well, it’s taken 50 years but, with the help of my 24 year old son, it looks like it’s finally going to happen.

Bought a brand new 427 alcohol motor that was going to be run in a nostalgia car. I’ll be “detuning” it from the 13.5:1 pistons to 8.5:1. (Did I mention this will be a daily driver?)  Brodix heads. 671 Wiend blower that I plan to limit to around 6 psi. Holley Super Sniper EFI. Crane helped me select  a cam with an operating range of 1600-6000 rpm. Suffice it to say it’s got a bullet proof bottom end. Turbo 400 trans with a Precision torque converter 2400 stall. 3.42:1 gears in a 12 axle with Eaton center and Moser axles. It’s all going in a 1973 GMC step side.

That’s the jist of it. Like I mentioned, I want it to be a daily driver. Pump gas. This is NOT a race car. It isn’t intended to set low ET or rotate the Earth. But it WILL irritate the neighbors and put on one exciting show when I want it to. A couple of steps up from rat rod but no trailer queen. A driver. I CANT WAIT!

This will be my first journey into blower land so any advice/warnings would be appreciated. I’m seeking individuals that have basically done this so I can avoid the pitfalls.

I have a ton of questions but here are a few that I’d like to address;

1) I want to convert to the ‘87 front clip but I want to retain the ‘73 radiator support,grill and round headlights. Anybody done this? An update: I think I’ve figured this one out. It’ll be a blending of the two radiator supports. The bezels and the turn signals will be the hard part. Nothing that modern technology can’t handle. Part of the overall vision.

2) I’m forced to run the short water pump because of the blower. What alternator and power steering brackets are you guys running?

3) Air conditioning is a low priority but something I’ll want to address eventually. Any suggestions?

4) I’m planning on traction bars/anti wrap bars. This truck will never see slicks and will never “hook”. Am I out of my mind?🤪 Thanks to VileZambonie for pointing me toward Calvert’s CalTrak bars available right here in the store. Could not find a better price and the technology and quality were superb. Thanks again to VileZambonie and Chris.

I’m sure I’ve made a mess of it already. I’ll leave here for now. Eager to hear from the forum. I’m hoping that I can contribute as well.

One more thing... I’ve got a lot of pics I’d like share... soon as I figure out how.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 12:36:24 AM by Chvyntl »

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
Re: Dream truck... help?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 03:28:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I have a lot of suggestions for you but very few I have had the $$ to do myself (yet). One I will say is PICS!!! and lots of them if you can.

I do have to call you out just a little... anyone who has an intro like yours and then and exodus that states "This truck will never see slicks and will never “hook”. has forgotten that they always wanted this and slicks and hooking come hand in hand like fish and water!..just sayin.

Looking forward to the build and enjoy the site.
A/C..check out vintage air. I'm sure that Chris (Captkaos- forum/store owner) may be able to order their stuff. With that being said, remember that this site is based from a store so if you would like too look at some images of the parts you want to change vs. the ones you want to keep check out the storefront.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline Chvyntl

Re: Building the dream
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 01:57:42 AM »
Thanks for responding. I had to chuckle about your call out. I think slicks on this ride would be pointless, don’t you? These pickups aren’t exactly known for their weight transfer. Besides, smokey burnouts will be more in line with what I have I have in mind. (In a safe and legal environment, of course).

I’m just building a toy to show up at the Foster Freeze every now and then, make a dump run when necessary and, then, when I get bored I’ll check the oil and gas up for a trip to LA to visit my daughter. Daily driver.

Don’t get me wrong. It’ll be obnoxious, it’ll be loud, it’ll be rough riding. But you won’t have any trouble recognizing me. I’ll be the guy with the goofy smile on his face.

Soon as I figure out pictures, I will post.

BTW Thank you for mentioning Chris. Great guy. Helped me with my vetting process. I’m looking forward  to my time with forum.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:06:51 PM by Chvyntl »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 07:37:57 AM »
1) I want to convert to the ‘87 front clip but I want to retain the ‘73 radiator support,grill and round headlights. Anybody done this?

Even though this may be personal preference, this is a mistake. 73 is one of the most desirable years and to start cutting it up would be a sad day. You would need to change everything forward of the cowl, you would need to change the wiper transmission, cut in the cowl deck, cut the front of the frame, move the front mounts and so on. Doing all of this will only take away from your truck. 73-80 is the interchange for parts with round headlights and there are several variations of changes through the years. 81- up begins the second run of changes with the squared off nose.

2) I’m forced to run the short water pump because of the blower. What alternator and power steering brackets are you guys running?

There are many options but if you are running a blower, I would look into a whole drive system. They are pricey but worth it in the end.

3) Air conditioning is a low priority but something I’ll want to address eventually. Any suggestions?

Does it have factory air or did it? If not, Vintage Air is an easy option.

4) I’m planning on traction bars/anti wrap bars. This truck will never see slicks and will never “hook”. Am I out of my mind?🤪

A coil-over 4 link setup is a nice option and more effective than breaking leaf springs. Drag radials are the option for street slicks. If you don't want to go that route, try these http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=7&Category_Code=SUSP

One more thing... I’ve got a lot of pics I’d like share... soon as I figure out how.

Either you have to resize them and click below your post where it says attachments and other options or you need to host your pictures and embed the links. If you use Google drive, there is a work around for displaying your files but it is cumbersome. https://blog.usejournal.com/host-static-images-for-your-apps-or-website-on-google-drive-hotlink-to-gdrive-images-358d6fcf8ef7
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Chvyntl

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 01:43:25 PM »
Thank you, Vile. May I call you Vile?😁

I appreciate your point about the ‘73. But if you saw this one you wouldn’t be so sad, believe me. Time wasn’t good to her. But, structurally she’s sound. The sheet metal and subsequent conversation is all lined up and understood. But I just want take it a little different direction. You’re right. The choice is personal. I like ‘81 and up front clip. But I want to give a tip of the cap to the ‘73 front view by keeping the grill, bezels and round headlights. I know the hood latches differently and I’m sure there are other obstacles but I’m hoping I’m not the first (well, kinda) and someone can help.

As to alternator and power steering brackets, I’m looking for specific suggestions. These are the “little” things that will kill a budget. If stock will work I’m inclined to use it. I’m not opposed to chrome, don’t have much time for billet. Function will be number one.

The truck had factory air. I’m almost inclined to pull it all out and replace it with it sometime new and compact like the Vintage Air system. I’ll get with Chris on that 

I’ve only recently become aware of the traction bars you linked me. They may be just what I’m looking for. I’d like to talk to someone that has some experience with them.

One last thought. I want to emphasize this 1973 pickup is NOT the right choice for a restoration. I bought it because the price was right and it met regulations. However, this doesn’t mean I’m not aware that there may be some pieces on the truck that I won’t need. I’m aware there’s a classified market on this forum. I will abide by the rules. But if I can help, I will.

Thanks again for your note.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:46:44 AM by Chvyntl »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »
Just be mindful that nothing forward of the cowl will interchange, you're talking cowl panel, wiper linkage, hinges, fenders, inner fenders, valance, radiator support, hood, latch/cable, body mounts, bumper/brackets, cutting the frame etc. Additionally the radiator mounts, AC condenser, lineset and fan shroud are different. If you are talking budget friendly, win, win staying with the 73 nose. If you are scrapping it, I'll take your old parts  :P

You can cheaply go with the old school short water pump brackets or aftermarket stuff by looking on eBaY. Search bbc short water pump brackets

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Chvyntl

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 04:29:58 PM »
Abundant thank yous. Assuming (yes, I know what that usually gets me) that I get past the cowl... can you imagine that sheet metal attaching to the ‘73 radiator support? That would allow me to keep the grill, round headlights, etc. I don’t have the luxury of parking the two versions side by side but they sure look close.

Thanks again.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 05:36:54 PM »
Nothing forward of the firewall will fit.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 08:29:11 PM »
Did I hear the sound of screeching brakes?  ;)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 12:05:12 PM »
Welcome, it is your truck so build it like you want.  We are here to help and there is plenty of discussion going both ways.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Chvyntl

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 12:40:13 AM »
And it’ll be a convertible!

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 05:11:25 PM »