Author Topic: Anybody put a Powertrax Lock Right in a stock Diff?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline brody287

Anybody put a Powertrax Lock Right in a stock Diff?
« on: November 12, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »
I have a 79 C10 RWD with the 12 bolt differential, and I want to add some kind of limited slip or diff locker to it to make it a little bit more capable off road. I'm by no means taking this truck through serious off roading terrain, but I do take it down an old fishing trail once in a while and want it to be a bit more capable.

That in mind, adding something like the Powertrax Lock Right (https://www.powertrax.com/product-info/lock-right-locker-traction-system/) might be my best bang for my buck.

Just looking to see if anybody has experience with these aftermarket diff lockers. How do they hold up and how do they affect drive ability? This truck doesn't usually go on long trips but I do scoot around town in it all the time. Does the lock right make a significant difference when driving off road? What are the pros and cons of this approach? Any experience you can share is greatly appreciated.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Anybody put a Powertrax Lock Right in a stock Diff?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 05:44:23 PM »
I use one in my '87 R10.  It's effective in sand and snow and essentially troublefree.  Installation is not particularly complicated.  However, negotiating corners (especially when the unit is new) produces a loud, sharp bang and subtle sideways drive axle thrust that telescopes through the chassis as the locking pawls release.  The first few times that it occurs is disconcerting until you realize the bang is normal.  The sharpness of the noise slowly decreases with use over about a year or so but never goes away entirely.

For a daily driver/occasional weekend warrior, I think you would be happier with a good quality limited-slip differential.  Be advised that both a locker and LSD will tend to push a 2WD front end in a straight line when driving on really loose aggregate or a slippery surface.

Edit:  Watch the short presentation... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL0hPEOStGk&feature=emb_logo
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 05:47:40 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline bluevan

• Registered Users
  • Iron Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
I put a lock right in my 89 G20 van 20 years ago and never had any problems.  The ratcheting sound it makes around corners is something you just have to get used to.  It makes my van way more usable in the winter time - it had an open differential before.  I remember being stuck in the van several times (even on flat ground) in the ice and snow.

Like bd said, they are easy to install and durable.  They are also one of the cheapest traction add-ons you can get for your rear end (I paid $258 in 2000).  As far as driveabilty goes, I have not experienced much of a difference.  In the warm months it doesnt do anything wierd.  In a snowstorm the back slides around some but it doesnt get stuck, which is fine with me.  Actuallly its kinda fun to drive in the snow as long as you know the limits.
- Joel
1982 GMC K10 (work in progress)
1989 Chevy G20 Van
1994 Chevy Impala SS
1974 Landcruiser (Chevy powered)

Offline brody287

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 12:06:06 AM »
Thanks guys, that's really helpful. Hearing that the locker does well in snow makes me want to get one for that alone. I live on the prairies in Canada so being more capable in snow would be a huge plus. However, since this is mostly a daily driver I am wondering whether I'd be happier with something like the Yukon Dura Grip Positraction limited slip.

I think I'll likely sit on the decision for a bit, but right now I'm leaning towards the Yukon.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 04:23:49 AM »
Best I've read as I was researching axle components recently for my camaro...  Is that those lunchbox lockers, which a powertrax is is just fine if you're doing stock power level stuff.  I know they're strong as heck, but using a lunchbox locker is a weakest link kind of thing.  yes they can take massive amounts of tourque, but what really will decide it for you is how much power can the stock carrier take?  For normal driving with normal power levels it will be fine.  Unless you're gonna hot-rod it and screw around a lot with it, you'll be fine with the powertrax.  Added bonus of the powertrax is no gear setup, slap it in and go.   I'm gonna likely get a powertrax for my C20 if the engine I get one day isn't over 400hp.  I can't remember the details but I settled on that being the power limit for it for what I'll be doing with it.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's