Author Topic: Power for electric choke  (Read 3468 times)

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Power for electric choke
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 02:34:10 PM »
GM original P/N 14034354 with 1/4" NPT threads crosses to Standard Motor Products PS144, et al.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Scott Wayne

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »
You could, BUT THEN the choke would begin to open as soon as the ignition is switched on.

I checked the two ignition power taps and they both have power without the key in the ignition. So that would mean that the choke would always have power if I were to wire it directly, correct? But if I’m not mistaken I want a 12v keyed ignition source?

I live in Texas so I’m not really concerned with cold starts. If I have to press the gas a little in the winter and let it warm up longer before I leave then I’m fine with that.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »

As you wish.

Those two power taps testing hot at all times is interesting.  The two taps directly above the 20-amp IGN fuse located along the left margin of the fusebox and the one tap directly below it, all three connected to pink or pink/black wires, should measure 12 volts only with the ignition key in the start and run positions.  Do the turn signals work without the key in the ignition?

Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Scott Wayne

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 10:14:36 PM »
I apologize if I’m coming across as difficult or that I don’t appreciate your help, because I do, it’s just frustrating because this is my daily driver and I’m fairly new to this. So thank you for your help with this, I really do appreciate it.

I would go through an OPS switch I just don’t see anywhere to put it. I’ve looked all around the oil filter and the only hole that looks like a 1/4 NPT is the one I sent a picture of earlier, above the filter. If that’s not it then I don’t see where else it could be.

I think I spoke too soon when I said they have power. I checked with a test light and there is continuity, but then I just checked again with a multimeter and they only have power with the key on. The turn signals don’t work without the key in the ignition.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 10:02:50 AM »
Look closely at this prior reply and image posted by VileZambonie...

Looks like some engine degreaser will help   ;D

Camouflaged beneath all that caked on gunk within the orange circle hides a 1/4" NPT plug.  Clean the vicinity of the plug, install the switch linked in Reply #15 using a smear of Teflon pipe dope on the threads, and string the wire tapping ignition power per Reply #7.  Viola!!  The job is done with a properly functioning choke!  All the information you need, including linked parts, is in this thread.

Replacing the valve cover gaskets might be prudent, too.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:43:26 AM by bd »
Rich

Offline Scott Wayne

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2021, 02:57:46 PM »
Oh my goodness *face palm*

Ok but in my defense that plug is in the first picture too! Lol

Thank you guys, I’m going to order those parts and get it wired up proper.

Offline Customdeluxe81

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 07:00:24 PM »
I have a simple question, was your truck not originally equipped with an electric choke? My 1981 C10 was, and if you could find that wire couldn’t you use that? Maybe give a wiring diagram a good look and see if there was one it would be on the diagram and it would tell you what color the wire is, then you could look for a disconnected wire that color near the carburetor??
Just a suggestion.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2021, 09:46:49 PM »
I have a simple question, was your truck not originally equipped with an electric choke? My 1981 C10 was, and if you could find that wire couldn’t you use that? Maybe give a wiring diagram a good look and see if there was one it would be on the diagram and it would tell you what color the wire is, then you could look for a disconnected wire that color near the carburetor??
Just a suggestion.

Likely the problem has been solved, but just for discussion, IF the truck originally came with an electric choke (and i don't see why it wouldn't, unless originally diesel....?), then there should also be a plug going to the oil pressure switch----which i think senses oil pressure to allow power to the choke etc.?

IF the OP elects not to use an OPS, then this plug, if present, would have to be "jumpered," so that power always goes to the choke when key is on.

i had to do it this way:  As you may know i switched from v-8 to v-6.   4.3 v-6's do it a little different with the OPS:  It's in roughly the same spot, but it's a different size and not compatible with my original v-8 plug.    i haven't had any cold starting problems.

P.S.  If the truck DID originally come with an elec choke, then i think the wire should be green.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 09:53:29 PM by Stewart G Griffin »