Author Topic: A few exhaust questions..  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Skunksmash

A few exhaust questions..
« on: August 09, 2008, 02:55:11 PM »
1. I have heard that it isn't a good idea to install a set of headers on an older motor that has only had plain old exhaust manifolds all it's life. Is there any truth to this at all?

2. Which headers would you recommend for decent power gain, but still retain the ease of working on the truck. For example, the headers don't make it harder to change the spark plugs. It would be great if there was a set of long tubes like this, but if they are to much of a pain to deal with i could do regular ones.

3. Is an all stainless steel exhaust system typically more $ than just a galvanized one? (headers included)

Oh one last thing. This is all for the application of an 87 sliverado longbed 1/2 ton 2WD with overdrive. Maybe they all had overdrive at that point. I don't know.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:56:59 PM by Skunksmash »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: A few exhaust questions..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
Stainless is more expensive. There's no truth to running headers vs manifolds. I suggest a quality stainless or ceramic shorty headers. Just make sure you get ones with an O2 bung
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Skunksmash

Re: A few exhaust questions..
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »
So shorty is easier to change spark plugs than long tubes? It looks like even some of the long tubes might not be that difficult to work around. But i have never had a set on one of these trucks so i thought i would ask someone with more experience.