Author Topic: Exhaust pipe question  (Read 2710 times)

Offline project_chevy

Exhaust pipe question
« on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »
Hey guys,

I have an 86 Silverado k10 with a 350 crate motor. This weekend I had a single Flowmaster 40 series installed 2.5 in/ 2.5 out at the local muffler shop. After installation the owner mentioned that if I went with 3 in pipe from where the h pipe connects it would sound louder and I would get better performance.

My question is has anyone gone from 2.5 to 3 in and their opinions and if I can get better perfomance with going with a larger pipe size?

Thanks.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Exhaust pipe question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »
On a singe it would flow more along the lines of a dual 2.5", of course the crate 350 isn't a monster powerhouse, so you should be fine with what you have.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 12:41:28 PM »
the 1/2 inch more diameter will create a LOUDER sound for sure. But as Chris stated, you arent pushing the threshold of the 2.5  with your engine, so, no difference would be seen.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »
On a singe it would flow more along the lines of a dual 2.5", of course the crate 350 isn't a monster powerhouse, so you should be fine with what you have.
Yep Chris is right on the money with this..... I would say that you might even choke it out some by going that large of a dual system(As Chris stated, a Single 3" would be along the same as having a true 2.5" dual system), unless you back it with the proper engine mods......
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten