Author Topic: 1978 K-10 troubles  (Read 2438 times)

Offline 1976Scottsdale

1978 K-10 troubles
« on: April 03, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »
Okay, my NP203 in my 78 silverado will only work in hi-loc and lo-loc.  I do not know if it has been converted, however, the dana 44 front axle does have warn lockouts on it.  Also, when I put it in hi or lo, it won't move, then, when I put the tranny back in neutral and move the t-case shifter towards hi-loc, it grinds really bad.  Can anyone help me?  Or, do I need to rebuild that np203 or use it for an anchor or what?  Thanks.

Offline bld155

re
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »
it has been proved if you jack 1 tire of the ground you wont go anywhere with a np203 in the unlock position,  if your hubs are unlocked, and the t-case is unlooked all your power is going to the least resistant place, and that is the front axle, since the front hubs are unlocked.
no wheels are turning

try this, lock the front hubs, and put your truck in high/low unlock mode, and the truck should move, if it doesent then it could be something in the case/front axle broke.

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: re
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 09:02:00 AM »
Well, after simply driving it in Hi-LOC, changing the fluid, then moving in the low-loc range for a while, the thing works fin in regular hi or lo with the hubs unlocked.   As the truck sat for three years or so, could it have simply been stuck?