Author Topic: TBI rebuild steps  (Read 10241 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
TBI rebuild steps
« on: October 16, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »

Remove the TBI from the vehicle

Remove the fuel connectors from the back of the TBI, not the gaskets on the end

Remove the 3 Torx screws from the inejector pod, not the location of the longer ones

Gentle pry the injector pod up

With the injector pod off, remove the 8 Torx screws noting the location of the longer ones

Seperate the upper from the lower housing

With the top off, remove the injectors, I use 2 screwdrivers as shown

Remove the 4 screws holding the regulator

Note the broken spring in mine, if you are having issues with low pressure, this may be the culprit, mine was in 3 pieces,  I got a replacement spring from http://www.top-downsolutions.com (only place I found it seperately)

With the new spring, I wanted to be able to adjust the pressure since I didn't know what it would be set to.
All you need it is (assuming you have the regulator off) a 21/64" drill bit, a dremel or a cut off wheel and some patience.
With the regulator off flip it over and note the hold in the center with a bronze inside,  Make note of where the tab is on the side and mark it, you will need to put it back to get the prior pressure (if it is near the top, you have potential for adjustment, otherwise you are out of spring)

Punch the center of the hole and drill into the bronze (not a lot though, you are only trying to get the bronze out...)

With it drilled using the punch, drive out the lower portion.

Take the screw out of the washer and using the dremel or cut off slot the center for a flat screwdriver:

Here it is slotted for a screwdriver.  The ONLY downfall to this is if you want to increase the pressure, you have to take the injector lid off.  But once you get it set, you won't be changing it.

With everything taken apart, drop it in Carb cleaner and let it soak.  After soaking you will have this:

Now reassemble the regulator with the new diaprham and regulator

Place the diaphram as pictured in the upper injector pod

place the regulator spring plate on the spring along with the bolt

Place the bolt, plate and spring in the regulator

Using the guide pins to keep the diaphram still put the regulaor assembly over them

compress it down and reinstall the 2 Torx bolts remove the guides and install the other 2 and tighten it down.

place the new o-rings in the lower injector pod and on the new injectors

Seat them in place making sure they are seated correctly

Reinstall the 8 Torx screws making sure you get them in the correct location

With the injection pod together this is what you have:

Place the new gasket on the injector base

Installe the injector pod with the 3 Torx screws

Reinstall the air cleaner bolt

Now it is time to put the fuel fittings back in. Note there is no gasket on the end.

Install the new plastic washer gaskets on the appropriate fittings.

Install them in there appropriate position.  Feed on the left, return on the right.

Now flip it over and this is where you are now.

Install the IAC sensor and reinstall the TPS sensor.  NOTE, the TPS will need to be set to .55v proir to cranking and the IAC may need to be reset.

Now you are ready to reinstall the TBI.