2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29
30 31

* Search

* Top Boards

Welcome to 73-87chevytrucks.com

73-87chevytrucks.com is not only a forum we are also a vendor for a variety of parts both replacement and custom. Check out our store at 73-87chevytrucks.com Online Store

73-87chevytrucks Social Network

We are also on Facebook so give us a like to the page if you like what you see: http://www.facebook.com/7387chevytrucks

Follow us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/7387chevytrucks

Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/7387chevytrucks

73-87chevytrucks Merchandise

Looking for a shirt, cap hoodie or anything else with our logo, check out or Cafepress site or our Spreadshirt site

January 25, 2022, 11:40:50 AM by Henry | Views: 73 | Comments: 5

Hi Guys:
I have a driveability problem now that we are in winter: my truck will not come out of high idle when the outside air temperature is below approximately 50F.

My truck: 1976 C-20, mostly OEM. 350 V8, T400 trans, A/C, Qjet 4MV carb (divorced choke coil), standard thermostat. Only mod is a 4-row radiator instead of 3-row radiator.

When the temperature is above the 50s, the truck goes through cold start normally where it is in high idle and you can kick it down to regular idle within a few minutes or drive away and it goes down to regular idle after suburban driving for 5 minutes.

When the temperature is below the 50s, the truck starts in cold start but stays there no matter how long I let it stay at high idle. It will not kick down and if I drive away it will not kick down even after 10 minutes of suburban driving.

Inspection of my carb shows all linkages to be intact, no hose leaks, and choke coil to be free and in good shape. On the surface everything seems in order. I will go make some linkage adjustment checks and do some testing of the vacuum break diaphragm to make sure it is really ok.

So when I first started the truck with the hood up I noticed that the fan was blowing a gale force wind on cold start and appears to be running at engine rpm...and this made me suspect it may be the culprit of keeping the engine and carburetor too cold in cold weather. I have the OEM fan and a OEM style thermostatic fan clutch, standard duty. When the engine is off, regardless of cold or hot engine, the fan has resistance to spinning: no matter how hard I spin, it will not feel like turning more than 1/2 turn. On a cold day (about 45F) I cold started it and at high idle when the engine was cold I attempted to stop the fan with a rolled up newspaper: it took considerable force to stop it while the engine was running. When I released it the fan just started back up to what appears engine rpm driving a gale force wind across the engine again. So I thought the fan clutch was bad and went to a big chain parts supply store and bought a new standard duty fan clutch. This clutch is a Wagner brand and it cost about $35. I put it in the truck and gave it a week to settle in by driving it around town in hot and cold weather. So now I go through the same checks of the fan clutch and it behaves exactly like the old clutch. So I am feeling I dont really understand how this fan clutch works or maybe I have a bad new fan clutch.

So I still have to do the checks on my carb, but can anyone tell me how to really check if this fan clutch is working correctly?

Regards,
Henry

Stewart G Griffin
January 24, 2022, 10:01:38 PM by Stewart G Griffin
Views: 33 | Comments: 0

i believe there is a 73 gmc grill on facebook.  i do not yet know how to post fb links.

So, if interested, check FB or discuss here so as to figure how to post the link.

i don't need one myself, but i posted because i suspect that there is a demand for this grill, yet the grill is not common to find?
January 24, 2022, 08:04:51 PM by Cdog_1996 | Views: 99 | Comments: 7

Need help!  I have a 454 out of a 78 suburban in my 83 k10, has started and ran before but my starter is very far out from the flex plate, the Bendix might catch 1/16 of an inch of the flex plate, turns slow, sometimes it doesn't do anything and virtually impossible to get it to crank consistently.  Makes a terrible screeching sound, I've tried a stock style and a mini starter both with the same issue, I can't find a solution for this problem
Dieselfume
January 24, 2022, 07:45:38 PM by Dieselfume
Views: 49 | Comments: 1

I purchased a 2" body lift for my '87 R-10 (PA-522 as an enabler for future mods (to get a 2wd cab to clear a transfer case). Heard that 2" would get the t-case to fit, but 1" wouldn't be enough.

I'm curious, the folks that have done a body lift, did you also raise up the fuel tanks?

Seems like it would stick out like a sore thumb if you didn't. I'm guessing it's pretty straightforward and self explanatory, or are there any tips & tricks I should know?
January 17, 2022, 03:31:09 AM by Cheyenne1010 | Views: 230 | Comments: 4

My name is Robert and I own a 1973 Chevy C10 Cheyenne long bed and i got a frontend lowering question.ive seen all the different lowering kits on the market and my question is can I use my stock coils with a drop spindle?my understanding of a drop spindle is the shaft that the brake rotor bolts on to is raised.so can I use stock coils with drop spindles?(im looking to lower it just a little bit,not trying to slam it on the ground)
Pages: [1]

* Recent Posts

Re: Getting a little fancy... 1987 V10 by JohnnyPopper
[January 25, 2022, 11:22:02 PM]

Re: 1983 Chevy k10 With 454 Starter issue by JohnnyPopper
[January 25, 2022, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Engine fan clutch-is it working properly? by JohnnyPopper
[January 25, 2022, 11:17:35 PM]

Re: Engine fan clutch-is it working properly? by Rapid Roy
[January 25, 2022, 08:10:32 PM]

Re: Getting a little fancy... 1987 V10 by frotosride
[January 25, 2022, 07:49:18 PM]