Author Topic: Truck leaning  (Read 2819 times)

Offline kickr69

• New Users
Truck leaning
« on: May 05, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »
I have a 76 chevy stepside pickup and the truck leans to one side 1" lower than the other side.  I have replaced the shocks, front coils and rear shackles ( i lowered the truck 2" that is the reason i replaced the shackles). I think it might be the rear leaf spring but would the leaf cause the whole truck to lean?  I don't want to start replacing stuff i dont have to.  thanks

Offline oscarone

• Registered Users
Re: Truck leaning
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »
You see that on a lot of old Chevy trucks.  It is probley one of two things.  Either the springs are old and sagging, or, the bushings are shot.  Check the bushings first as they are easy to replace, and, not expensive.  You may be able to check your springs by laying a straight edge across the top and measuring the distance from the straight edge down to the bottom of the spring at the center.  Where they mount to the axle.  Compare the left and right sides.  If it is the springs you can either buy a new set, or, I think you can have the old ones "re-curved".  If it is not the supsension you may check fo a bent frame or shackle problem.  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »
Spings settle at different heights.  You will not get each side perfect, but you can get it close, but you will either have to raise the low side with a rubber spacer, or trim the spring on the high side.  (cutting a little at a time and putting it back in and driving it to check)  Measure your newer car, and you will find variances in them also.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »
check bushings......cab mounts etc......i hav eyet to see a leaf spring sag on one side, unless the truck was beat on like a red headed step child.

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://