Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 35766 times)

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2020, 08:45:35 AM »
Radiator came in yesterday. It’s BEAUTIFUL!!!:

I also got my TCI remote TPS sensor... so I know what my weekend looks like now.

UPS delivered late yesterday and didn’t give me a lot of time to look at the thing before I had to leave for dinner. Factory radiator mounts definitely won’t work. I’ve got options, but don’t have a full plan yet.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2020, 10:41:00 AM »
That is indeed a pretty radiator!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »
Griffin radiators in S. Carolina. I’ll snap a picture next I’m at the shop. They even stamp their own caps!

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2020, 09:19:47 PM »
Very nice radiator! One of the best I have seen! Will have to fab mounts for it and with your talent, that is not going to be a problem.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2020, 09:56:44 PM »
Supposedly this was a kit for our trucks... it seems maybe the mounting brackets didn’t make it into the box or maybe they were extra. In any case I did indeed have to whip up some mounts:

I didn’t get a picture of the lower mount, but it’s more of the same. I used some double stick foam I’ve had lying around both top and bottom, so the radiator is rubber mounted.
I’m sure the mechanism of the cap is “off-the-rack” and Griffin just stamps their logo, but it’s a cool touch all the same:

Hopefully I’ll get the TCI remote TPS finished tomorrow, along with wiring in the new fans tomorrow or Wednesday. After that I shouldn’t have too many excuses for not *finally* taking that maiden voyage.

Stay tuned...

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2020, 10:51:00 PM »
Supposedly this was a kit for our trucks... it seems maybe the mounting brackets didn’t make it into the box or maybe they were extra. In any case I did indeed have to whip up some mounts:

I didn’t get a picture of the lower mount, but it’s more of the same. I used some double stick foam I’ve had lying around both top and bottom, so the radiator is rubber mounted.
I’m sure the mechanism of the cap is “off-the-rack” and Griffin just stamps their logo, but it’s a cool touch all the same:

Hopefully I’ll get the TCI remote TPS finished tomorrow, along with wiring in the new fans tomorrow or Wednesday. After that I shouldn’t have too many excuses for not *finally* taking that maiden voyage.

Stay tuned...

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2020, 05:54:39 AM »
Very nice Jeremy, now stop milking it and show us a video of it burning rubber... 8)
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
Nah... I’ve decided I’m just gonna keep working on this thing... FOREVER!

And you’ll have to settle for stills... I don’t believe these forums support video.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
Just thought of a moniker for your white whale "MILKEY MILKERTON"

I think you're right, you might have to post video somewhere else and give us link. Can't wait to see that monster in action!

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2020, 09:21:16 PM »
Me neither. It’s slow going, but the milk comes out of the tailpipe. You’ve got to get in there before things heat up too much and you can’t hold on anymore.

If the truck hasn’t moved by October, I propose Milkey McMilkington, in honor of a portion of my Western European heritage
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 09:23:17 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »
Hear hear!!!

Or for some 'here here!!

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »
They should set up video capability on this forum.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2020, 08:51:04 PM »

I took my first drive in the suburban today.

The pictures are from Thursday when I finally got it out of the shop. I’m headed back to work Monday, so it was just time... despite the weather.

The truck wouldn’t crank when the wrecker showed up, so I had to have it dragged on with the winch. And then it wouldn’t crank yesterday either. WTH?!?!!!!!

Yeah, the MSD CDI took a sh*t. No idea why, but she dead. It’s got power, but does not send a signal. Red light doesn’t light up when the box is tripped... she dead. I need to see what MSD’s warrantee is. Thankfully the CDI isn’t really necessary for a lazy motor like mine.

The first drive went about as expected. Everything works, but not much works as well as it should. Except the brakes! They work REALLY well. So I drove it home tonight.

I’m back to work next week... and moving... I’m not sure how much time I’ll be able to devote to cleaning up the last of the issues, but at least the truck will move itself across town. Not real sure it’ll be sound enough to pull a trailer. It’ll also gonna need to drive itself to an alignment shop straight away as well.

I’ll update as I can.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2020, 12:03:45 AM »
You did an outstanding job on your truck and I am sure you will have little trouble cleaning up the bugs.

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2020, 01:41:19 PM »
Thank you for the kind words!

Nothing is insurmountable. And I’ve gone WAY too far to turn back now.

Biggest issue is the transmission is VERY NOT HAPPY. I know less than nothing about automatic transmissions, but I have this gut feeling that my torque converter isn’t doing what it’s supposed to. Unfortunately I’ve run out of time to play around with this thing and it’s the weekend, so no ones answering the phones on any tech support...

A short cruise across town gets the transmission VERY HOT. I’ve gotten the over-temperature warning both times I’ve gone more than 10-15 miles. Beyond that anything more than the slightest application of throttle kicks the transmission into a much lower gear than required. I got on the interstate for less than a mile and had to get off as I think I was stuck in second gear. I can feel the shifts to higher gears once I’m off the gas, but the slightest amount of throttle brings a downshift... like nothing. I literally cannot accelerate in at least third or overdrive and as I can’t keep it in OD, I also cannot say if the torque converter is locking or not.

The tranny is the stock 4L80e, stock converter, using the F.A.S.T. transmission controller. Hopefully a call to them tomorrow will yield some solutions. As this transmission had almost 200k, I had planned on likely needing to rebuild or replace it, but I was hoping to get a few miles on the truck before doing so.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Despite really having to baby the thing along, I did drive it home last night:

The Ford and the Volkswagen are my girlfriends. We joke that this is the antisocial or scumbag corner. The suburban hasn’t been parked there since January, but when it and the Ford were there earlier this year it was hysterical to see the neighbors avoid this corner like the PLAGUE

If we leave both trucks idling long enough we can probably burn a hole in the ozone directly over the complex. The condo is Megan’s, and it’s in Decatur, GA, or dick-hater in the parlance. Subaru’s and Prius’ are very well represented with our neighbors and I got some really dirty looks driving in yesterday.

The transmission and it’s issues will keep me from driving the truck too much, but other stuff to resolve:

Oil pressure gauge is... erratic. Dakota Digital gauge-pack and their sender... I’m thinking the sender is flaky. They’ll get a call this week as well.

On the subject of the Dakota Digital, I also haven’t gotten the speedo calibration right.

I need an alignment really badly. The truck tracks true, but doesn’t steer like I think it should, plus even visually you can tell the camber is different from wheel to wheel. Caster is likely wrong as well. I’ve never aligned a car before, so I’m weighing learning to do so or paying someone.

A/C is bone dry. Thankfully the temperature has dropped, even here in Georgia, so it’s doubtful I’ll NEED A/C this year, but that’s definitely one I’ll use a pro for.

And the combination of new door seals and strikers means you have to close the doors like you HATE them... so much so I either broke or slammed loose, the rod from the exterior, drivers side door button. Easy enough fix, but I’ll have to remove the door panel.

Oh! And most of all, a hood scoop!!! Thank God I was having ignition problems Friday! I’m pretty sure that not having spark SAVED my engine. I went to start the engine and “DUNK”. Locked up hard. Yeah... the hole in the hood and the shaker pan I made just funneled water into the intake, past any partially open valves and into the cylinders. I pulled the plugs and water RAN out of several cylinders.

I *think* I dodged the bullet here. No funny noises, and good oil pressure when the gauge stabilizes. (Back to the oil pressure sender, I think my engine makes more pressure than the sender can read, throwing it off) Cold and under acceleration sends the gauge off the scale to the high side and then drops off to the low side. Cruising and light-throttle application it reads 30-45 psi.

In some ways the engine I built is a prime candidate to bend a rod from the hydrolock... high-torque starter, longer rods, high compression and barely any valve overlap. But it’s also a forged crank and rods. Again, THANK God I didn’t have spark to try and push those waterlogged cylinders THROUGH the water. Thank God I wasn’t stubborn and realized the problem quickly. I’m certain it’s possible to bend a rod on the starter, but I’m fairly confident I dodged the bullet this time. Time will tell...

I’m sure there’ll be other issues that will rear their heads, but overall I’m pretty happy. The issues I have, aside from the transmission, aren’t major and should be easy to fix. The truck does turn heads... and has already picked up two offers for stoplight drags... one from a friend and the second from some guy driving an Infiniti yesterday.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:21:34 PM by bd »