Author Topic: Ignition actuator rack broke need help  (Read 11966 times)

Offline c10dude75

Ignition actuator rack broke need help
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:55:38 PM »
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum here. I got a 1975 chevy c10 I bought about a month ago day I brought it home and parked it when I went to start it next day the key it's turned freely at first thought it was just the lock so since was so cheap I bought 1 which was prob a good idea anyways. Then found out the turn signal switch was like melted in there so it didn't work. But after that thought well maybe it the ignition switch and the answer was nope took more stuff out of the column and found the ignition rack had broke so been looking for a 7tooth 1 but haven't had much luck. So could I get away with usng a 6 tooth is the main question? tha and how do I go about replacing it? Do I just keep digging down in there till I get to where it sits or could I pull the rod down and out and attach the rack then try to stuff it in and up the back of the column? just checking to see if u guys know any tricks or tips to make it easier I'm new to the chevy world I'm actually a jeep guy haha so don't hate lol if wanna see pics of that feel free to ask it just a 99 cherokee with tons of aftermarket stuff on it everyone loves it haha. But anyway thank you all can't wait to hear from you guys lol.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Ignition actuator rack broke need help
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »
I put this together to tear one down to the tilt portion that usually loosens.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12525.0

I found this on crankshaftcoalition.com and DIY-Fiero.com that is the whole setup
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/d/d6/Jazzman_Steering_Rack_Rebuild.pdf

BTW may of the Cherokees used the same column...

Offline fitz

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:03:24 AM »
Do you have a tilt column?
If not, its a whole lot easier to just install another column.
I hate to encourage anyone to give up on something, but I wouldn't put the effort & time into fixing a non tilt column.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:04:38 AM »
And for now, you can just run the actuator rod outside the collum
So you can pull on it with your hand and crank the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »
It's a tilt. and I know the older jeep 1s are similar but at 99 it's packed full of extra crap iv been lucky and have had no problems with them but their not as old so I'm sure later down the road prob have to do something to that in future as well. Also thanks for those snap shots should come in handy👌. And yeah I tried moving rod by hand and got nothing maybe it broke too but I got a replacement for that laying around so were good there main goal is to find me a 7 tooth ignition rack and figure how I put it in and attach to the rod I know it clamps on the rack with a screw or something but yeah should be fun haha. Worst case I seen those after market columns for 200 com in chrome or black was thinking originally to just get rid of the old crap and put fresh in there. But heard someone say might not work with old harness would have to rewire with a painless to plug it in dont know how true that is or isn't maybe to can tell me if you know and keep that as my plan B. and thanks for your input and help guy's.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 02:11:44 PM »
You have the older style rack and sector like this http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-83221-HELP-Rack-Sector/dp/B000CSZJ38
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 02:52:31 PM »
It's not one. It's got 7teeth but still has that loop thing on the end iv only seen one and it was like 74 dollars or something.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline c10dude75

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 12:25:20 AM »
Fixed this all by the way many months back found a 7 tooth rack and rod from a corvette of the same year got off eBay for 15bucks then kept breaking the pivot pin removal tool from auto zone cus it was really in there so bought 1 off amazon that didn't taper down was just same size screw the whole length and it pulled it right out way better tool if having that problem yeah go get the 1 on amazon. Then after that the old plastic selector broke too so had buy new 1 which was prob better idea anyways start fresh. But yeah got it all back together put on a chrome grant wheel and adapter called it good. Just wanted to say thanks for all the pictures and links haven't been online in a while so that's why this is so late and if anyone breaks and you need help feel free to send me a message 👍