Author Topic: Steering Columns. will a 3 speed work with with a 4 speed transmission correctly  (Read 8545 times)

Offline Gwtt

I have a 1975 C10 that I'm doing a LS swap, and want to put in a 4 speed automatic overdrive. Will the 3 speed auto column work correctly with a 4 speed. So please school me!

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Yes it should. I went from a turbo 350 auto 3spd to a 4L60 auto 4spd, had no issues at all. Just make sure the shifter is in park and the trans shift shaft is in park when you hook the linkages up, that way park is park, reverse is reverse and so on. It wouldn't be good if your shifter was in park and your shift shaft was in neutral or some other gear, when you shifted you would always be in the wrong gear. Just make sure both are in park before hooking the linkage up, the linkage can be adjusted also if needed to make solid, positive shifts into each gear if you think it's not fully engaging or has slop or play.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline enaberif

I have a 1975 C10 that I'm doing a LS swap, and want to put in a 4 speed automatic overdrive. Will the 3 speed auto column work correctly with a 4 speed. So please school me!

Are we talking 700r4 or early 4l60 or are we talking about 4l60E? They are different beasts.

Offline LTZ C20

Are we talking 700r4 or early 4l60 or are we talking about 4l60E? They are different beasts.
A 700 R4 and a 4L60 are the same thing, the 700 R4 is from the early 80's when they were not very good units, in late 80's GM changed a few things to make them better and rebranded them a 4L60, however, they are the same thing, it's just a name difference. If you have a late 80's to early 90s 4L60, you have the better version 700R4. A 4L60E is the same as a 4L60, except that 700's and 4L60's use a throttle valve cable (TV cable) do obtain proper shifts and a 4L60E is shifted electronically. Other than that, they are also pretty much the same thing also.

Infact, all three of them are MORE the same beast than they were ever different. They vary in certain aspects but are all very similar overall.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:21:08 AM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Gwtt

I wasn't sure if the Column itself had only provisions for 3 gears (gates). Cool So i can re use the stock column and just added the PRNDd21 to the cluster backround. Im probably going to use a 4L80E over a 60E. Im going to be boosting the motor I am building.

Offline LTZ C20

Yea that should be fine, I THINK. I haven't had any issues with mine. I was going to get the 4 speed gear indicator for the cluster but I haven't gotten around too it yet. The 4L80E is a good choice also, the 80E is actually basically the same as the bigger brother to the Turbo 350, the Turbo 400, with the main difference being an extra gear set in the rear half and a few other things. Overall a good choice no dought.
LTZ Cheyenne C20