Author Topic: The Bear  (Read 23642 times)

Offline XrayTedd

Re: The Bear
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »
The block is actually the classic Chevrolet orange just to keep it classy. The red and black has just been the theme for everything I've been upgrading. It all started with the axles. I did them in black and the calipers red. After that everything just ended up black with little touches of caliper red. So I carried over to the motor. The reason I went with the aluminum color powder coat was because there will be things on the engine that will end up just aluminum. ( ie. Alternator, fuel rails, ect) so it was just a way to tie it in and the silver doesn't show dirt as bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 10:37:38 PM by XrayTedd »
"Till the wheels fall off"

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 01:46:44 AM »
Ahh I see, well that all makes good sense then. Looking at the block again I see it's indeed orange, at first glance I assumed it to be red as well. Keep going with the good work.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
Ahh I see, well that all makes good sense then. Looking at the block again I see it's indeed orange, at first glance I assumed it to be red as well. Keep going with the good work.
Thanks LT!

Offline fitz

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »
That TPI motor is looking good.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »
This thread is not dead just been slow due to low funds. Most recent update is I pulled a t-pulley from the yard off a 95 tbi. Found out that it is not gonna work So I took that back and pulled the brackets from a vortec motor. It will work but it comes with a catch.
Running this will prevent me from ever being able to have A/C as the throttle linkage hovers over where the compressor should go. . I'm gonna leave this for now and see what I decide later. I also picked up an electric fan from a 94 Lincoln town car. I saw on another site a way to retro fit the fan in my stock shroud. So I'm gonna attempt this for a clean look.
Then I came across a 90 suburban at the yard with a rear air foil with a third brake light. This was the first I've seen of this style on a suburban, and I'm sure it'll be a new feature on a K5. The price was right so I grabbed it and will put it on at a later date.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2016, 09:44:06 PM »
Interesting. I think you could still find a way to get ac, just have to do some brain storming.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline fitz

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2016, 05:25:06 AM »
I've been waiting for updates on this build.
You could always hunt down a serpentine belt set up off a TPI car.
My 86 vette had a serpentine belt system.

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2016, 08:13:33 AM »
I've been waiting for updates on this build.
You could always hunt down a serpentine belt set up off a TPI car.
My 86 vette had a serpentine belt system.
I would like to find one of those but here's my problem. My yard doesn't carry any of the cars I would need to pull these parts. (Z28s, formulas, or corvettes) I can find the sets on ebay, but they want your first born son for them.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
Have you tried any other salvage yards or places like pick n pull. My serpentine system all came off 1 truck in the local pick n pull yard. I got brackets, pulleys and bolts.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2016, 09:28:09 PM »
Have you tried any other salvage yards or places like pick n pull. My serpentine system all came off 1 truck in the local pick n pull yard. I got brackets, pulleys and bolts.
I haven't yet. But I think I only have one more in my area. I'll try to check it out next weekend.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2016, 10:38:01 PM »
That's what I would do.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2016, 10:50:24 PM »
That's what I would do.
Did some digging. Since the 88-92 z28 share the same locations for the ac comp and alt as the vortecs, I can get away with just finding the ac/ps bracket. If I can find that at the yard it'll only cost me about $10. They're close to a hundy on ebay. Maybe I can make a career out of pulling these brackets and selling them since they're made of gold. Lol

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2016, 10:59:32 PM »
There ya go!
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline XrayTedd

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
Been doing some assessments on the engine build. From my digging around it appears that the cost to finish the engine  (as TPI engine) is the equivalent to what purchasing a fitec system would be.  The fitec will also be a much easier install option and less problematic. I could also recoup most of the cost for the fitec from selling the TPI system. The cons are that I would lose a little bit of low end torque, but I would gain a little higher rpm hp. And it would widen my overall rpm range from 4500 to 5000 before the numbers start falling. So now I have a decision to make...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »
Ide choose torque over hp any day
LTZ Cheyenne C20