Author Topic: AIR and Alternator Brackets for a 454  (Read 1955 times)

Offline RossCravens

AIR and Alternator Brackets for a 454
« on: June 15, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
Hi all!

I have an 86 C10 with a 454 and I live in Colorado. I brought the truck with me when I moved from Texas so it didn't have an AIR pump and I need one now to pass emissions.

I have found an AIR pump and bracket, but the mount on the passenger side of the motor and that's where the alternator is. The shop I had it at trying to figure it out cannot find the right bracket configuration to hook everything up and make it work and I need some help!

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a "matching set" of brackets that will bolt up to a 454? I don't care if the pump is on the drivers or passenger side, I just need to have them both installed on the same motor!

Any guidance would be beyond greatly appreciated!

Thanks!  Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 GMC C10 SWB--454
"There is no replacement for displacement"
'06 Chevy 2500 LBZ
Gig 'Em Aggies

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: AIR and Alternator Brackets for a 454
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »
Why do you need an A.I.R. pump? What are they basing this on?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline RossCravens

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:34:12 AM »
It's original emissions equipment and they won't test it if there's missing emissions equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'86 GMC C10 SWB--454
"There is no replacement for displacement"
'06 Chevy 2500 LBZ
Gig 'Em Aggies

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »
The point is that if the vehicle was built without an air injection system, yet satisfied federal and state emissions requirements in the locale it was first sold, a different state cannot require you to reconfigure the vehicle to their standards.  Install an AIR pump if you wish, but you may have solid grounds to reject the requirement and acquire an exception if you can clearly state your argument and back it up with documentation.  On the other hand, if an original AIR pump was installed from the factory and subsequently removed, you have no argument and must comply with the state requirement.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Do you have the sticker on the core support showing the emission "class"?  My 1985 with a 454 and a manual transmission has 2 pumps on it. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:29:54 AM »
and if you do it would be easier to slap a new VECI label on it. I don't understand why these states don't offer exemption registration. It would make a lot of sense to offer collector reg with emissions exemption for vehicles over 25 years old and to charge a higher registration fee. Less hassle, easier money in their pocket books. They can figure out how to legalize marijuana and make millions but no one can seem to figure out emissions. They want their federal $ and simply comply when it doesn't make practical sense and therefore changes never happen. I digress....
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline ryno

• New Users
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »
Any updates on this? I am currently looking at moving to CO from TX after new year's and want to know how hard it will be and how much it will cost to pass emissions. Truck is a '79 GMC C25 with rebuilt original 454 which came with a cat, AIR pump, EGR, etc and of course its all been ditched long ago by previous owner.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 06:05:12 AM »
Custom and Similar Vehicles

Vehicles in this category may include reconstructed, rebuilt or street rod cars. For further information, contact your county motor vehicle registration office or the Emissions Program Office at the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles at 303-205-5603. Most of these vehicles are tested with the idle test rather than the I/M 240 test.

In general, these vehicles that have Colorado-assigned identification numbers in lieu of a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and all such vehicles must be evaluated at an emissions technical center operated by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Paperwork from this evaluation must be presented to the emissions testing center in order to obtain an emissions test. Save this evaluation paperwork as it must be presented at all future emissions tests on the vehicle.

The following Colorado motor vehicles are exempt from emissions testing:

Newly-manufactured vehicles, for the first seven (7) model years, or until a change of ownership (click here for requirements regarding vehicles being brought into the program area from another state or from another part of Colorado);   Pre -1976 collector-plated vehicles
Pre-1943 horseless carriage-plated vehicles
Vehicles with a two-stroke engine manufactured prior to 1980
Motorcycles
Farm-plated vehicles
Electric powered vehicles
For further information on exemptions, call your county motor vehicle office or the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles' Emissions Program Office at 303-205-5603. Also see information regarding vehicles manufactured outside the U.S. and kit cars
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »
Hi Ross:
Assuming you cannot get an exemption:  to determine what your emissions equipment looked like on your C-10, I would go to a car parts store and get one of those Haynes repair manuals for your model year...they are pretty good about documenting what the emissions equipment looked like on the engines. Then when you have found an image or two of what the configuration and brackets look like, time to go junkyarding for the parts. There still should be plenty of stock on late 1980s C-10 truck parts in the junkyards.
Regards,
Henry