Author Topic: 1982 K10 Neutral Saftey Switch Question Have they changed it?  (Read 5777 times)

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
Ok, been having problems starting, turn the key click, jiggle the automatic shifter, press up, press back, press it all around while turning the key, eventually Bingo, starts right up... so bought both a new ignition switch and a new neutral safety switch... might as well change them both if I'm going be under the dash... but the NSS looks different, it has no tabs to screw it onto the column, just snap in tabs.  AutoZone swears its's the right one, tho in person they look at it like it is a second head... and shake their heads....  What's up?

I've only found one comment using the search function that some one said that they zip tied theirs to the column because there was no tabs to screw it.... but that's where the comments ended, no other response...

Help?
Carl

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: 1982 K10 Neutral Saftey Switch Question Have they changed it?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:08:38 PM »
Autozone isn't your best solution.  They offer universal ones that don't work with our set ups.  My suggestion is to go to a Napa store or older mom and pop that can get you real stuff.  GM dealership may also be able to get them.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
Funny.  That's the same expression I had the first time I encountered that switch substitution - at a GMC dealer no less - with an OE party number.  The two styles of switch should be interchangeable.  IIRC, the superseded part adjusts by rotating the body of the switch against an internal detent - there may be a release lever involved ... or a shear pin.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »
Autozone isn't your best solution.  They offer universal ones that don't work with our set ups.  My suggestion is to go to a Napa store or older mom and pop that can get you real stuff.  GM dealership may also be able to get them.
That's true... may stop by NAPA on the way home....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carl

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
Funny.  That's the same expression I had the first time I encountered that switch substitution - at a GMC dealer no less - with an OE party number.  The two styles of switch should be interchangeable.  IIRC, the superseded part adjusts by rotating the body of the switch against an internal detent - there may be a release lever involved ... or a shear pin.
Well thats interesting, I could see how it could possibly be remade totally different looking but still just snap into the holes instead of screws, maybe I should give it a shot... in the mean time, I did not take it and they had to do a store transfer for a pre 82 one that at least had the same terminals.... decisions decisions!
Had to drive my 75 Cadillac Deville to work today... guys here got a kick out of that! Lol

Carl

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:11:14 AM »
Well, NAPA had the same switch.. so I I bought the one that was from earlier than '82, fits perfectly... made me realize that I had the steering column replaced when I took it to a local shop 4 years ago for a new tranny. The guy was loaded with old chevy parts! So this must be a pre 82 column...
will have this done Wed, will post if it all worked!!

Carl

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »
Well, got it all back together and same problem, turn the key and click, actually more like a thunk, sounds like the starter is engaging but does not turn.... new starter?
Carl

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »
check all your connections and grounds before jumping to the starter, a bad connection can cause enough resistance that you don't get enough amps at the starter to crank. Also if you haven't already check the battery with a load tester and recharge if required, lots of starting cycles without enough run time to recharge the battery before shut down can leave the battery low
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
I would check the connections at the firewall terminal and the fusible links-any chance the fusible links are bad then replace, they are likely as old as the truck anyways.

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
Thank you all for the responses, I have been suspecting the positive cable from the battery to the starter.  I have always had a drain on the battery, 3 days not running the battery is dead, well looks like someone replaced the battery cable and they zip tied it to everything... frame/brake lines/fuel line.... and they zipped it tight... Im suspecting a rubbed short, which would explain the solenoid engaging, and the starter not starting. I will pull the starter wire off the starter and check it out. It's raining today so prob tomorrow since I"m off Mon/Tues.

I'll let ya'll know when I'm done!!

Thanks!
Carl

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
Took the starter off last night, easy to remove, but the wiring connections are awkward to get to.... took longer to take off the wiring than removing the starter.... long story short, once out and on the ground, hooked up my jumper cables, shorted the terminals and just like in the truck solenoid pops out but the motor is not turning, seems locked up... lol so off to get a new starter after work today....

Also, before I took it off the vehicle, I decided to just stand there with my door open and turn the key, click, click, click, click and on about the 13th click, it turned over.  So my jiggling the shifter that I thought was making it work was bullsh*t.... lol

Prob, just warming up the starter until it finally pulled enough amps to turn over.... the cables seem fine, but I've bought new ones so replacing them just for fun, Otherwise, my replacing the neutral safety switch and ignition module was also wasted effort, but now I'm good for another 20 years or so..  lol

So what did we learn, it's easier to take the starter off then anything else that I did, check the starter 1st~!!!!

Carl
Carl

Offline carlnelson

• 20 year Alaskan
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 05:57:01 PM »
Last post on this topic!
Got the new starter in yesterday, works like a champ, lessons learned, if you have to choose between starter, wiring, switches... take the starter out and test it... its prob the starter!! Lol

Carl